DIY : Painting Badges

Vaku

:
2008 Mazda 3
2nd post, thought id contribute in some way! might have already been done but always good to get a fresh DIY tutorial ;P

I did this last week, in the process of doing the rears now -

As its my first time doing something like this I just thought I would focus on the front flying M before I did the rear badges.

Equipment I used:

ivzs4y.jpg

Bleach
Ice cream container
Gloves
Sand Paper
Primer
Paint
Clear
Brush

My method was to change the bleach twice a day (or when it went completely black) and brush the emblems a few times a day also, I guess it worked well.

Im not sure if it makes any difference but I sealed the container throughout this process and left it outside because bleach has a strong odor.

in total it will take you around 3-4 days from start to finish if you want to do it properly.

note: use gloves always!

so first I put the emblems in the bleach bath , just used enough to cover them no point drowning the emblems in bleach.

9gbupl.jpg

generally this is what the bleach will look like after a few hours, in the later stages it will be completely black.

9u8d9x.jpg

after 24hrs this is how they looked.. eek, brush heavily at this point to reduce buildup of crap over emblem.

280npth.jpg

after 48hrs you can see how most of the chrome was now gone.

2wcejqs.jpg

72hrs or so, and a bit of sanding =
I still could have gone for another bleach bath but it was good enough imo.

2eyf8dv.jpg

I put the primer down (x2), looked good already imo :p

2h3qttk.jpg

put the black down (x2), its actually a gloss black despite it looking matt in this pic.

30cskgj.jpg

then for the clear coat (x3) which IMO is essential for making it look awesome

end result :

i5ndrc.jpg

fitted

2rh5rh4.jpg

Great write-up. Don't know yet if I'm going to do the bleach bath method or just sand. Any tips on getting the front and rear emblems off? Also, how long did you wait between each coat during the painting process?

Last edited:
+2 great write up, what did you use to take them off i would like to know also.

no problem guys.

for the front you can just 'push' it out by hand, its held in my clips, lift your bonnet up and you will see them sticking out, just push each one to be at a similar level and it should pop out quite easily, you will understand when you look! but go easy on it apparently the clips can snap off easily.

for the rears and side moldings I just used some fishing line, the rears have pins (except for the '3') so you just need to run the line behind the badge to where you 'feel the pins are' and do this a few times, use your hands and it will come off, be careful with the 'mazda' badge as it can bend quite easily.

it does help if you let the car sit outside also, but its not necessary if you use fishing line IMO.

as for the coats, I let them be for around 30min or so, it was a very hot day (as in 38 C = 100.4 ) so they did not take long at all.

I let it sit til the next day and then fitted it, its been on for a week now and I have given the car a wash, no chips or scratches thus far, no peeling paint etc.

and looks great imo!

also a friend of my sanded/primer and painted his, lets just say i'm redoing it with my rears for him now, so if you do sand it.. do it well!

So you're saying if the sanding method is done instead of bleach bath, make sure you get all the chrome off? I've read that it's difficult to get the chrome off that way (sanding method). I just don't know if I have the patience to do the bleach bath :)

Are you going to use adhesive to stick the rear emblem back on? I've read that the pins are enough to get it back on. If you use double-sided tape, it's a pain to trim it and look clean. Thanks for the additonal tips. They will come in handy for sure!

basically yeah,

for me if i'm going to bother doing it I thought I might as well do it properly, it is a pain doing the bleach bath process but it is the best way to do it, I have read about people who sanded the badges back and had no issues, but others still said they should have used the bleach.

so I guess just make sure you sand it well, enough for the primer to have a good surface to stick on anyway! wear a mask also, dont want to get chrome/plastic/metal whatever in your lungs.

when you pop the rears off, you will notice little plastic 'guiders' if you will, that will help hold the badge in place, I bought some 3M double sided tape which I will cut with a knife to match the back of the badge when im done with the rears, il take some pics of that.

id hope that will work fine!

Yes...please take pics of the back of the rear emblem and maybe the holes on the hatch door? That way I can get even a better idea on what to expect back there. I have a little time to decide which route I want to go. I'm planning on doing this the last week this month since I'll be on vacation. Maybe adding little sections of the 3M would suffice instead of backing the entire emblem with it? I would think that would save time.

Last edited:
+1 nice write up but I didn't go to all that trouble with the bleach.

Used to own/operate a paint shop and all we did was scuff it up with a Scotch Bright or other sanding pad. You can tell when you have sanded it enough because all the shine will be gone and it will actually look like stainless steel. Then I hit it with semi-flat black Krylon and years later the stuff is still there and the semi-flat Krylon gives it the same sheen as the black factory trim.

The Krylon actually did a better job than anything we mixed up at the shop. PPG, Dupont etc.

my two cents ;-)

Good to hear a success story from sanding/scuffing too :)

+1 nice write up but I didn't go to all that trouble with the bleach.

Used to own/operate a paint shop and all we did was scuff it up with a Scotch Bright or other sanding pad. You can tell when you have sanded it enough because all the shine will be gone and it will actually look like stainless steel. Then I hit it with semi-flat black Krylon and years later the stuff is still there and the semi-flat Krylon gives it the same sheen as the black factory trim.

The Krylon actually did a better job than anything we mixed up at the shop. PPG, Dupont etc.

my two cents ;-)

This was exactly my method and so far so good. Washed car numerous times and the paint has held. I removed badges, sanded until all gloss was removed. Wiped with Simple Green and rinsed. Industrial gray primer coat x2, and 4 coats of Krylon High Temp matte black, no clear coat although I wish I had applied the clear. Looks great and very easy. Clips on front flying M are a pain in the A$$ and two of them broke, no biggie.

Ive got my rear flying M just held by the clips. I didn't bother using adhesive. Its been perfect for over 5 months now. Been through many carwashes too.

good to know! my rears are ready for primer/paint today so I will be putting mine on tomorrow

I bought some double sided 3M but its going to be a major hassle.. oh well.

I'll definitely be doing this project during winter break, maybe even this weekend. Definitely a better way than spending 50 bucks for one emblem. Thanks for the write-up.

No other pics? ;)

How'd the double-sided tape cutting go?

I can tell you from mine it wasn't easy. I only put my flying Ms back on no speed or 3 emblem. I didn't completely cover the back of the emblem with tape as the front has clips and the back has expanding tabs that help to hold it in. for the guys that put back on the "mazdaspeed" and "3" emblem it woudl be a biatch to tape!!!!

Maybe I'll just use little pieces of tape in certain areas of the emblem instead.

Maybe I'll just use little pieces of tape in certain areas of the emblem instead.

thats basically what I did, I was more relying on the tabs to hold it in place than the tape, tape is sort of a backup..

On the rear "Mazdaspeed" and "3" I used 3M heavy duty double sided tape and bascially put one long strip on every letter, it worked great!

Back