What's the best Bike Rack for 2008 CX-9

lpadron

Hi to everyone. I have a 2008 CX-9 in stock condition, i.e. no modifications, no hitch nor roof rack. Thus options are limited. I just bought a mountain bike. Presently I only own 1 bike but my wife and family may get into the sport. As a result I want a 2 - 4 bike rack. Dont know if its relevant but only need it for short trips (usually 30 - 45 minutes and certainly not more than 2 hours).
I'm having problems finding a bike rack for my CX-9 that will not cause damage to it. It seems that my best bet without having to spend on a hitch is a trunk rack. However, some "available" options may damage the rear spoiler. What options are there in the market that will not require prior installation of a hitch and/or roof rack (plus the bike roof rack). Please help. I hope I provided all necessary info to hear from you. Thanks LEP.

Curious to see what responses this gets. Plenty on the this site about roof and hitch bike options but nothing on hatch mounts. I don't want to get a hitch and with the Skybox on the roof there isn't room for more than one or two bikes alongside. It seems to me that a hatch rack would put too much force on the rather flimsy spoiler but I see them on Lexus RXs all the time and they seem to have a similar spoiler.

Yeah, I wouldn't put anything on that spoiler. It feels like it could fall off if you look at it wrong. I think you're pretty much stuck with spending a couple hundred dollars on either a rack, or the hitch, and then spending another chunk of change on the racks themselves.

So I went to the website for Saris bike racks and checked the fit for the CX-9. The site indicates that virtually all of their trunk mounts would be compatible. I followed up with a question through the website and received an email back indicating that the racks had been tested for compatibility with the CX-9 and there were no problems. I do not intend this to be an endorsement of the these racks but it is interesting that the company suggests they will work despite the spoiler. (As mentioned above, I've seen several trunk mounts on Lexus RXs and the straps are hanging over the spoiler with no apparent problems.)

I still think you're better off investing in a receiver and getting a rack for it. As long as your lights are visible you don't need the wiring.

I agree.

Upsides: Hitches are easy to install and far more versatile and sturdy. Plus, you won't have to worry about damaging anything on your rear door. Also, the hitch bike racks will likely allow you to use your rear door.

Downside: They are considerably more expensive, once the hitch and bike rack are counted into the cost.

Back