header

Ace

:
2002 protege es 5speed
what about making a header for the protege. Something for the na guys to compliment the exhaust which is great sounds great and great quality.

Might be reasonable. Like a 4-2-1 long tube header? We just released one for the MX-3 1.6l DOHC & SOHC. That header is a beast - almost 3.5' tall for the DOHC setup - as it includes a huge section of the exhaust on the car behind it. But we took our time and designed it in a manner that allowed it to be used on a wide variety of 1.6 and 1.5l SOHC & DOHC engines.

Mx3-6-121_Web.jpg

For submitting product ideas, take a look at our product submission page on our website. We'd love gather some info from you to put into our product development lifecycle. I can guarantee you that idea will go on our list of evaluated items - and we really do a lot of due diligence to determine which products we build.

We've got a few headers that we have developed and sell for both piston and rotary engines and it's something we'd like to get more into in the future. Unfortunately it took us nearly a year to get enough people on board for that MX-3 header to get it off the ground and build the tooling to go into production.

Talk to you soon,

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer
CorkSport Mazda Performance

a different header would be great. from what i have heard all the other aftermarket ones make a really raspy, horrible sound with the corksport exhaust

I vote for just a stealth test pipe to replace the first cat for the 2.0L proteges.

What, you don't like the authentic patina of cast iron on it's journey back to the iron ore from whence it came? I can understand that. Is sound really that much of an issue - I mean, it sounds like there's some value in having the look of a stainless header with decent flow but not the high decibel tradeoff.

I'd be curious what the market would be for a shorty header on the FS. Something that just dumped into the factory catalyst and then included a separate J pipe with a high flow cat option. Might avoid the rasp sound of the long tube designs as the collector occurs sooner.

Would be easier to deal with clearance issues in the design that way as well.

Thoughts?

Jason Griffith
Product Development Engineer

If you make them both able to work with all stock parts, then that would be amazing. I would buy just the test-pipe portion to eliminate the first cat and keep it stealth legal for nazi CA cops lol.

You could then sell them as a set, and separately, with maybe a deal for buying the set.

It's not the loud sound that I don't want but the raspiness that you hear from a fart can Honda

I'm in if you ever release one for the 99-00 Protege 1.8l DOHC. I'd also prefer it to be CARB legal so I can still run the car on California streets.

I'm in if you ever release one for the 99-00 Protege 1.8l DOHC. I'd also prefer it to be CARB legal so I can still run the car on California streets.

It takes a lot of $$$ and testing to be CARB legal, and the only thing that even has a chance is a shorty header that dumps into the stock cat, as removing/changing the cat location kills all hopes of carb legal-ness

it would be cool to make a shorty header for those who want that but i rather have a 4-2-1 or 4 into 1 longtube design something that makes power.I could careless about the cats being on the car plus i want to take it to the track run it road race and other stuff like that. I want to make power without the restriction of the cats.

^^ +1, but instead of just a shorty header, how about a good long tube 4-2-1 header for those of us who dont have any emissions or inspections (FL baby). plus, the long tube at the end of that would be easy to get a highflow cat installed keeping the raspyness to a minimum. Just my $.02

All good ideas. We're doing some work on our Turbo MP3 in the next few weeks and we'll probably have good access to evaluate our options and the opportunity costs of the various choices on these headers as a potential product at that time. Will keep you posted. If you have any other ideas or questions, let me know.

Jason Griffith

If you had a 1.6 header for less than the OBX one or simually priced, and it looks like the one above i would have certinaly bough it!

Back