Which of These Three Should I Purchase??

dbal72

:
08 Mazda CX9 AWD GT w/ Nav.
I have read many different threads on here on various replacements for the disappointing Duellers. I am getting ready to pull the trigger and wanted some opinions on which tire of these three to purchase based on personal experience and price. I live in W. Michigan and we avg. around 70 inches of lake effect snow so snow traction is a necessity. I know snow tires would be the best choice but since the vehicle is primarily driven in town I want an all-season tire.

-Michelin Latitude HP 245-50-20 "H" Rated
$450 shipped to my door. (New car takeoffs)

-Pirelli Scorpion STR 255-50-20 "V" Rated
$450 shipped to my door. (New)

-Yokohama Parada Spec 255-50-20 "V" Rated
$649 shipped to my door. (New)

I appreciate the opinions in advance.

you are getting a good deal on the Michelins ($175/tire at Tirerack.com) so i would go for those if you can get them. reviews put them relatively on par with the Yokos. Pirellis are good value at the price (can get 245/50-20 for $112/each + S&H) but are not reviewed to be at the same level as far as snow traction (which is important given your circumstances).
i am waiting on my Yokos (245/50-20) which are on backorder.

drive a cx9 with proper winter tires, yes its an inconvenience, so is sliding into someone. having the right equipment on the pavement is worth more than having awd, ask any Canadian.

those all season tires in that wide a tire will sorta work, just don't expect much when the snow is more than 4 inches.

Of course, snow tires would be the best for surviving winter with peace of mind.
If you only need one set, the choice is very clear to me. Spec-X.

compared to Pirelli:
- $20 more only
- rave review of 8.6 vs 7.2
- V-rated instead of H

compared to Michelin
- cheaper by $20
- rave review of 8.6 vs 8
- V-rated instead of H

If you really are getting the Michelin for that price ($450),
then, it is a good alternative since it becomes $20 cheaper than Spec-X.
However, Spec-X outperforms Latitude in almost all categories. (see review)

V-rating really is not that important since we are talking about a CUV here that can only
travel up to <130mph anyway.

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the Latitudes. $450 shipped to my door for a new set is a great deal. I know the Parada's may be a little better tire all around but $640 is the best price I can find. I don't know if approx. $200 more is worth it or not. My wife primarily drives it so she won't appreciate any cornering beneifits from one tire to the next like I would. (lol2)

I just pulled the trigger on the Latitudes. I will report back with my snow results in a few weeks when the snow starts flying. I couldn't pass on $450 for these and put the extra $$ saved towards Christmas.

We had these on order at COSTCO in July, mounted and balanced for $560. They told us that our Duelers had another 3-4 months on them, so we waited. We went back tonight and the price had gone to $975 mounted and balanced! WTF? The price went from $139 per tire to $245, so we canceled the order and walked out.

Now we're searching fast because the stockers are done and the snow is coming. Can't afford separate snows and summers right now, so we're going all-season. Ugh.

Toyo Proxes ST II seems like a good dry and wet tire.
Somehow, the tread pattern tells me that it might not perform well on snow.
(i.e. big tread blocks)

Wow! $975 mounted??? That is steep. I was lucky and found a new set of "New Car Takeoffs" form a 2009 Toyota Venza for $450 shipped to my door. I just mounted them yesterday and will update performance comments under the Michelin Latitude Thread started a few weeks back. You can find Latitudes on Tirerack for $175 I believe and there is currently a $70 rebate from Michelin. Costco is ripping you off.

I just purchased the Yokos and I will say they are a 10!! I researched long and hard and chose to go with the Yokos. I will also say that it has made my CX9 a new SUV. I got them yesterday and just the 40 min. drive home was an eye opener due to the quiteness. My Duellers were beyond terrible with about 6/32 of tread left. I will update on snow performance as soon as ohio gets it.

Tires to a vehicle is like speakers to a stereo system.
You spend minimum amount of money to get biggest return.
Not to mention that tires also tie to safety.

I agree 100% with Ceric. Tires can make or break your opinion on a vehicle.

Toyo Proxes ST II seems like a good dry and wet tire.
Somehow, the tread pattern tells me that it might not perform well on snow.
(i.e. big tread blocks)

Had a blizzard over this weekend. The 9 performed like a snowmobile (rockon)

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 216
I have had a chance to use the Yokos in the snow and they were much better than the Duellers! I am really going to be testing them out next week because we are going to Minnesota where there will be snow a plenty! Will update shortly.

Back