How to program switchblade remote key

scottatl

I have seen other posts on how to program the 3rd key but I have not seen it in this CX-9 forum.

Anyone have the procedure?

for the remote...

get in car, lock it, unlock it. open drivers door......turn key from off,on,off,on,off,on,off...then quickly close,open,close,open,close,open the drivers door then the locks will automatically lock and unlock, after it does this press lock or unlock on the unprogrammed remote once or twice until the door locks and unlocks itself, then remove key from ignition and vehicle will lock and unlock itself one more time. then remote should be programmed.

Last edited:
I personally am not aware of the procedure TropicalDelight posted above. It seems interesting to me.
However, there is already a thread on how to program additional (3rd key), SmartCard or SwitchBlade. Here is the link.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123699361

OMF's pdf is from 2007.
The procedure I posted (last post of that thread) is for 2008.
Depending on your model, you should decide on your own which to try.
I personally has not done it.
Maybe TropicalDelight's also work.

I have a regular key and separate remote and want switchblade

I have 2 regular keys and want a third. I am looking at the switchblade design and am wondering if I would be able to get it even though I do not have the switchblade design to begin with? What do I do?? Can i do anything??

Just programmed switchblade key on my '09 Touring!!!

Thanks to instructions in this forum and mazdaforum.com (in various places, lol), I was able to program my switchblade. Home Depot wouldn't cut the key, and I don't have an Ace in my area, so I took it to the dealer to get cut. That cost me $10. But I found out I had to do this in two parts - program the key, then program the remote.

To program the key:

When "using key x" (in the following procedures), remove the other 2 keys from vicinity so that the ECU is not confused. (I just put the keys that I wasn't using at the time on my armrest, and I had no issues)

Key 1 and Key 2 are valid keys. Key 3 is the one to be programmed.

1. Prepare Key 3 for programming.
2. Start the engine using key 1.
3. Verify that the security light (the car with the key symbol on the dash) illuminates for approx. 3s, and then goes out.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
5. Using Key 1, turn the ignition back to the on position.
6. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3s, and then goes out.
7. Using key 1, turn the ignition switch to the lock position within approx. 4s after the security light goes out.
8. Remove Key 1.
9. Repeat steps 5-8 using Key 2 instead of Key 1.
10. Repeat steps 5-8 using Key 3 instead of Key 1.
11. If an additional key is to be programmed, repeat steps 2-10 with the additional key as key 4.
12. Verify that all keys can start the engine for 5s or more after the procedure.

I did this, and the key worked in the ignition, and I was able to reverse and drive up my driveway (didn't want to go far, as the kids were still inside), but my buttons didn't work. To get them to work, I did the following:

1. Remove the ignition key and close all of the doors.
2. Open the drivers side door.
3. Insert the key into the ignition switch.
4. Repeat the following three times : Turn key to ON and then back to LOCK position.
5. Key should now be in lock position. Do not remove the key.
6. Repeat the following three times : Close and then open the drivers door.
7. Drivers door should now be open and all doors will lock and then unlock. (You are now in programming mode).
8. Push any button on the transmitter twice.
9. Doors will lock and then unlock indicating that transmitter is programed.
10. Repeat steps 8 and 9 for second and third transmitters.
11. Done.

NOTE: If you only have one transmitter then program it three times. If only two transmitters then program one of them twice. The
reason is that there are three empty "slots" in the door lock module for transmitters and all three need to be filled or may not
operate correctly all of the time.

Thanks to this forum, and Ebay, I have a spare working switchblade key for under $45! (2thumbs)

Side note...for those of you who purchased your CX-9 new, did you receive a valet key? I only got 2 switchblade keys, and that has kinda been troubling me. In fact, it was my impetus to get another key made.

Last edited:
With only one valid key, I think you need to go to dealer (needs the MDS handheld device that only Mazda dealers have). With two valid keys, one can program the 3rd one by oneself. By rule, the dealer needs to check your ownership of the vehicle BEFORE they will allow you to duplicate a
2nd key (such as checking the computer record with VIN for owner and your valid ID).
However, this step seems to be skipped in many cases....

The reason behind this is to prevent unauthorized duplication of keys. Therefore, you need TWO
keys to prove that you are indeed THE OWNER.

Last edited:
To the person that got his key cut for 10 dollars which dealer did you go to. Here they want 100 bucks just to program the remote. Do the dealers have a key cutting machine.

I tried this on my 2010 CX-9 and it didn't work. I have two switchblade keys that work completely (ie. Start the vehicle & Keyless Entry) My third key will start the vehicle, but the remote buttons do not work to unlock the car. I tried this to program the third key, but it didn't work. Any suggestions?
Thanks to instructions in this forum and mazdaforum.com (in various places, lol), I was able to program my switchblade. Home Depot wouldn't cut the key, and I don't have an Ace in my area, so I took it to the dealer to get cut. That cost me $10. But I found out I had to do this in two parts - program the key, then program the remote.

To program the key:

When "using key x" (in the following procedures), remove the other 2 keys from vicinity so that the ECU is not confused. (I just put the keys that I wasn't using at the time on my armrest, and I had no issues)

Key 1 and Key 2 are valid keys. Key 3 is the one to be programmed.

1. Prepare Key 3 for programming.
2. Start the engine using key 1.
3. Verify that the security light (the car with the key symbol on the dash) illuminates for approx. 3s, and then goes out.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
5. Using Key 1, turn the ignition back to the on position.
6. Verify that the security light illuminates for approx. 3s, and then goes out.
7. Using key 1, turn the ignition switch to the lock position within approx. 4s after the security light goes out.
8. Remove Key 1.
9. Repeat steps 5-8 using Key 2 instead of Key 1.
10. Repeat steps 5-8 using Key 3 instead of Key 1.
11. If an additional key is to be programmed, repeat steps 2-10 with the additional key as key 4.
12. Verify that all keys can start the engine for 5s or more after the procedure.

I did this, and the key worked in the ignition, and I was able to reverse and drive up my driveway (didn't want to go far, as the kids were still inside), but my buttons didn't work. To get them to work, I did the following:

1. Remove the ignition key and close all of the doors.
4. Repeat the following three times : Turn key to ON and then back to LOCK position.
7. Drivers door should now be open and all doors will lock and then unlock. (You are now in programming mode).
11. Done.

NOTE: If you only have one transmitter then program it three times. If only two transmitters then program one of them twice. The
reason is that there are three empty "slots" in the door lock module for transmitters and all three need to be filled or may not
operate correctly all of the time.

Thanks to this forum, and Ebay, I have a spare working switchblade key for under $45! (2thumbs)

Side note...for those of you who purchased your CX-9 new, did you receive a valet key? I only got 2 switchblade keys, and that has kinda been troubling me. In fact, it was my impetus to get another key made.

would i be able to use this procedure for my 2007? I have two switchblade remotes and would like to add a third one. Please let me know if this is possible.

Ceric, i was told on the forum to follow your the procedure you posted. Does this work for a 2007? also is it the same as the other procedure listed here?

. Remove the ignition key and close all of the doors.
11. Done.

This procedure was missing one step. You are supposed to lock and unlock the drivers door with the power lock button and then put the key in the ignition. I got this from the instructions that was given to me on ebay by the key seller. Now all 3 of my remotes work. thanks to omf for the key programming and midwest keyless for the remote programming.

Thank You!!!

The dealership almost charged me over $200 to program my keys!!!! I really did not think this was going to work and I am soooooo excited it did. Thank you to all the people who posted this. I can't believe the dealerships can live with themselves, they are charging so much money to open and close doors a couple times.
-Niki

QUOTE=TropicalDelight;4918772]for the remote...

get in car, lock it, unlock it. open drivers door......turn key from off,on,off,on,off,on,off...then quickly close,open,close,open,close,open the drivers door then the locks will automatically lock and unlock, after it does this press lock or unlock on the unprogrammed remote once or twice until the door locks and unlocks itself, then remove key from ignition and vehicle will lock and unlock itself one more time. then remote should be programmed.[/QUOTE]

Dealer in Palo Alto,CA said he would charge between $500-$600 to program an additional key to my 2012 GT. Ouch! Is there an alternative?

On a side note, procedures like these are listed in WorkShop Manual from Mazda.
People like me just copy it over here.
(technicians also rely on these books)

Someone posted a PDF version of the WorkShop Manual here. (please search for it)
Its paper version is about 3" thick.
It is something good to read if you are bored.

Thank you TropicalDelight, The instructions I recieved with the remote did not work, I was getting quite frustrated, then I tried your instructions, worked perfectly the first time. You da Man..

Just to confirm and report, I did this successfully on my 2011 CX-9 Touring with the Advanced Keyless Entry system. I modified the remote programming instructions a bit based on what I've read elsewhere and to report what worked for me.

I bought a used CX-9 Advanced Keyless Entry (AKE) remote on Ebay ($60) with the intent of having a backup in case one was lost. From reading online, it looked like I could program a third AKE remote if I still have two working remotes. Once I lost one (and only had one left), I would have to go to the dealer to get a new remote programmed.

For my 2011 CX-9 Touring (with the Advanced Keyless Entry system), I bought a remote on eBay to match my current ones, with these ID numbers (under the auxiliary key):
FCC ID: 662F-SKE11A-04
IC ID: 662F-SKE11A-04
SKE11A-04
WAZX1T763SKE11A04

Here are the steps I followed to program my new remote:

1. Bring the programmed AKE remotes (remote 1 and remote 2) and an unprogrammed AKE remote (remote 3) into the vehicle.
2. Close all doors.
3. Insert the auxiliary key from one of the programmed AKE remotes into the ignition key cylinder

Note - complete the procedures up to step 7 within 30 seconds after you have inserted the auxiliary key.

4. Turn the ignition switch to ON position (do not start engine).
5. Press the UNLOCK button on AKE remote 1.
6. Press the UNLOCK button on AKE remote 2.
7. From the ignition switch in the ON position, switch the ignition switch in the order below:
ACC -> ON -> ACC -> ON -> ACC -> ON
8. Open the drive-side door, and then close the door three times (ending with the door closed)

Note - after step 8 is completed and the AKE remote programming mode is activated, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock.
-if the door lock actuated does not operate, repeat from step 2.

9. Press the UNLOCK button on the unprogrammed AKE remote (remote 3) twice.

Note - After Step 9 is completed the card key is programmed, the door lock actuator operates to lock, and then operates to unlock.

10. Exit the vehicle with all of the AKE remotes and try all three. All of the buttons should work on all three remotes now!

I haven't yet gotten a blank auxiliary key to cut and program. I've seen other programming instructions for that. But for now, I at least have three working AKE remotes!

Back