Retractable Key to Replace Advanced Key?

blue_cx9

Is it possible to buy and program a retractable key to replace one of my advanced keys? A dealer told me know, but they didn't sound too confident. I really don't like the credit card style key!

Has anyone done this before?

Is it possible to buy and program a retractable key to replace one of my advanced keys? A dealer told me know, but they didn't sound too confident. I really don't like the credit card style key!

I know that you can use a non retractable for a retractable style...but never tried one in place of the smart card. (We figured it out when a rental company came in for a duplicate... their car was supposed to have the retractable style...but they came in with the non-retractable style... since then we've done it on several cars.)... Why don't you like the card style... (just wonderin)

From looking at the WorkShop manual, I don't think it is possible, either.
I also would like to know "why?".
Actually, the SmarkCard is not designed for key chain. That thin string will break within 1 year. (mine did)
You can put it into your wallet (if you don't sit on it) or pockets.

Last edited:
This is slightly off topic but i wonder if the new smart key dongle for the 2010 GT can be used in place of the smart card. I don't know if the chips are the same.

We've had the GT for a few months now and as much as I don't like the credit card style, I just deal with it. I'm used to having my keys in a bunch.

The credit card key great for me. My previous car (BMW) had a big key fob which I had to carry separately with my 2 other keys (home + mailbox). Now I just keep the mazda key in my wallet, and I can fit the other 2 keys in there too...so no keychain to forget/lose.

Now I just have to figure out how to get my 2 blackberries into one and I'll be golden.

This is slightly off topic but i wonder if the new smart key dongle for the 2010 GT can be used in place of the smart card. I don't know if the chips are the same.

We've had the GT for a few months now and as much as I don't like the credit card style, I just deal with it. I'm used to having my keys in a bunch.

I was wondering about the same thing.

I know that you can use a non retractable for a retractable style...but never tried one in place of the smart card. (We figured it out when a rental company came in for a duplicate... their car was supposed to have the retractable style...but they came in with the non-retractable style... since then we've done it on several cars.)... Why don't you like the card style... (just wonderin)

I don't really use a wallet, just a money clip and a couple credit cards. I end up putting the advanced key on my keychain anyways and it's really awkward to carry.

Back