Transmission vs. Others

bumparker

:
2009 CX-9GT
We have a 2009 GT, it is my wife's vehicle and she loves it much more than her previous car (Infiniti M35). It has just over 4000 miles now without issue. I do drive it occasionally, I like it alot too, but I have noticed that in stop and go traffic the transmission does not seem as precise in operation as other vehicles we've owned. Nothing dramatic, if you're creeping along and give it a little gas it can be a little jerky. The jerkiness is only at slow speeds, other than that the tranmission works flawlessly. Just curious if others have the same sensation.

It is a learning transmission (like many others on the market).
Your wife must have been driving very conservatively. Therefore, that driving style has been the norm.
If you drive it aggressively for a couple runs, the transmission behaviour will change/adapt to the new style.
Aisin, the transmission supplier of CX9, is partly owned by Toyota. The same transmission can be found on Lexus/Toyota. It is the 3rd largest transmission maker in the world.

Yeah, I have experienced this as well and am not a conservative driver. When I'm in stop and go traffic it will sometimes shift into fourth gear at somewhere just above 25 mph. So if you slow down and then need to get going again you have to wait for it to downshift and I think that's where the jerkiness comes into play.
So what I've started doing in those situations is flipping it into manual mode and do the shifting myself and usually just keep it in third because if you're in second it either tends to want to jump out of its skin when you push the throttle or slow down way fast when you let up.

Back