CX-9 Chains & Cable Chains

ryanCX-9

:
'09 CX-9 GT AWD
I just recently purchased an '09 CX-9 with most of the options including the 20" wheels. I had the Duellers yanked off and a set of Parada Spec-X tires installed right away. Except for some scuffs on the wheels when Discount Tire swapped the tires, I'm very happy.

But now winter's coming and I'm thinking of what I'll need to cover the local mountain pass in winter. And now I'm reading on this forum that I should not use chains on my 20" wheels?

Do I have any options besides a new set of rims for winter? Has anyone used cable chains or chains on their 20s? If so, where did you get them and which type, cables or chains?

Thanks!

Now, this is more like a "proceed at your own risk" kind of decision.
CX9 manual says "don't do it" to cover their bottoms.
You certainly can purchase 20" chain that fits the 245/50R20 size from PepBoys. (I did)
However, the worry is that due to 20" wheel, the cable wires might scratch the wheels.
I have not installed it (did not encounter snow last year when I went up Sierra Mts.)
If you really worry about it, you can buy one from PepBoyz and installed it to see if there is any chance of scratching the 20" wheels. Then, decide if you want to return it.
I should have done that, but never did. The chain still sits in my garage unopened for 1 year.....

Anyone tried(or heard) of the Autosock? I saw it at tirerack web site.
I need to get a set of snow chain(just in case) since i'm planning a Yosemite trip during Xmas.

Last I checked on autosocks they didn't make a size that fit the 20's.

You're right..although they have one for the 255/50/R20. I'll probably just stick w/ the cables/chain type like the Z-chain Z-575 from SCC.

Back