2009 CX-9 GT - compass in rear view mirror?

posted this in main forum but got no traffic. Should a 2009 CX-9 GT have a compass in the homelink rear view mirror? The website says it should, but mine doesn't.

I thought the same thing too so I contacted Mazda USA via email. I received a phone call back and was told that it is an available "accessory." In other words, it doesn't come standard, but you could pay to have the dealer put one in (kind of like cargo mats, etc.). IMO, the way it's written on the website it sounds like it's a standard item, but I guess it's not. To me it wasn't worth argueing over, so I let it go, especially since they are reimbursing me for the most recent version of Nav DVDs. I told them I was disappointed my new car didn't come with the most recent maps (I had 2007 v.2) and they told me to buy the new ones (2008 v.1) and they would cut me a check after I emailed them the receipt.

Personally, I don't think the compass is that useful if you have GPS (portable or OE NAVI).
I installed myself the rear view mirror (OE accessory from Mazda).
I did it for the auto-dimming and Homelink. I rarely look at the compass, but it is there.

Last edited:
Yes, it's not important enough to argue over, but it would be nice to have since I didn't get the nav.

Just find it weird that if you go to mazdaparts.org, all the rear view mirror choices have the compass.

I had the dealer switch out our rear view with one with Homelink and yes mine came with the integrated compass. I have had my CX9 for over 2.5 years and had this done the first week of ownership.

Back