Leaking coolant from under radiator

sschwar4

I have an 07 CX-9. Today we notice some coolant leaking from a plastic bolt in the bottom of the radiator. Upon inspection, the bolt seemed loose. I tightened it slightly and the leak worsened. Come to find out the bolt was mostly sheered and fell off in my hands. Of course the leak is worse now, but the rest of the bolt is still in there.

What is the purpose of this bolt? Can it be extracted and replaced easily?

Thanks,

If it is at the bottom of the radiator, it would probably be the drain plug. Since it is plastic, i believe you should be able to remove the rest of it and put in a new plug. Plastic plugs should not be overtightened.

I'm not sure how tight it is in there or how much is left to grip. maybe try with a long needle nose plier and see if you can get it to turn counter-clockwise slowly. maybe others would have a better way to remove it.

It says 30 kg-cm on it, which is usually the torque. I was able to hand twist it, but it must have already been almost sheered at that point.

I broke just above the rubber washer, so I am betting something hit it. It is pretty cleanly broke.

Do you know how long the bolt is? I was thinking of drilling two holes for a needle spanner and then extracting, but don't want to drill too far.

Are these available anywhere or just through the dealer?

Thanks,

Back