automatic windshield wipers

tstex

My OM is not in my possession. Is there anyway to turn-off the automatic windshield wiper features in my 09 GT?

thx

I bet he means he would like to disable the "automatic" feature.
I had the auto wipers in my Passat and hated them...they either wiped too frequently or not enough. I prefer to control them myself using the intermittent feature. That is one feature I would never opt for again.

I bet he means he would like to disable the "automatic" feature.
I had the auto wipers in my Passat and hated them...they either wiped too frequently or not enough. I prefer to control them myself using the intermittent feature. That is one feature I would never opt for again.

They can actually be adjusted by the dealer for better or less sensitivity.

Mine work fine as with all other branded cars that had them that I owned.

They can actually be adjusted by the dealer for better or less sensitivity.

Mine work fine as with all other branded cars that had them that I owned.

There is sensitivity control on the control arm also.

From page 5-64 of the 08 CX-9 Owners Guide

The sensitivity of the rain sensor can be adjusted by turning the switch on the wiper lever. From the center position (normal), turn the switch towards (+) for higher sensitivity (faster response) or turn the switch towards (_) for less sensitivity (slower response).

Sometimes when the automatic wiper seems to activate for no apparent reason, it usually is because the area it monitors somehow becomes dirty (e.g. dead bug on it).
A simple spray and wipe will get it back to normal.
There is no reason to deactivate the auto-wiper IMHO, unless it is broken.
Mine has been on auto since day 1.

P.S. Auto-headlight, on the other hand, is something that I don't use at all. Auto-off is good enough for me. The sensitivity of autoheadlights can also be adjusted (see my other thread).

The "free" wipe will disappear if you reinitialize the rain-sensor. It's posted somewhere on this forum, and once you go through it, the additional wipe will disappear. It's not happening because of dirt or water over your sensor, it's because the system needs to be reset (recalibrated, or any other name you want to give it).

It was barely misting/raining and the wipers went beserk...then it rained more and they slowed down. (smash)

I would prefer being able to set them to the speed I want, when I want...when I get my OM back, I will thoroughly read the section...thx, tstex

Occasionally, on a sunny day, the wiper will activate for a couple wipes.
It also happened to me once or twice that, on a rainy day, when auto wiper was in regular action, it all of a sudden decided to perform an all-out wiping! It went back to normal in a couple of seconds.
I attribute those "phenomena" to dirty sensing area without knowing other causes.
I will check if there is any re-initialization procedure in the WorkShop manual.

With automatic wiper, I no longer have to keep changing the interval of intermittent wiper, which I did with my old Odyssey (speed-sensitive is dumb IMHO). There maybe some kinks with the sensors, but overall, it is appreciated by me.
I can't say the same about auto-headlights. Keep going on and off may shorten the life of the HID bulbs.

Here is the description from the workshop manual.

Rain Sensor Reinitialization Setting

CAUTION: If the initialization is performed with water or dirt on the windshield, the rain sensor may not operate normally. Before performing the rain sensor initialization again, remove waret and dirt from the windshield.

NOTE:
When the ignition switch is turned to the ON position after replacing the rain sensor with a new one, the windshield condition is verified and the initial setting is stored
Perform the initial setting again in the following cases:
The windshield is replaced and the rain sensor is reused
The auto wiper system operates incorrectly (in my case in AUTO mode always performed a slow clycle when I turned the ignition switch to ON position, and didn't adjust the speed correctly to actual rain conditions.)
Remove water and dirt from the windshield surface
Turn the ignition switch OFF
Turn the windshield wiper switch to AUTO position
Within 10 s after turning the ignition switch to the ON position, turn the windshield wiper switch from AUTO to OFF position for five times and return it to the AUTO position.
CAUTION: If the operation is too fast, the windshield wiper switch position cannot be detected and the initial setting may not be performed. Operate the windshield wiper switch for one cycle (AUTO->OFF->AUTO) per 1 s.

Back