Need a Ski Rack

JBA

:
2008 CX-9 GT
1st post, the trees are turning color here in NE so it is time to look for a ski rack for our ZZB (Zoom-Zoom Bus). Can forum members weigh in on what works and what doesn't? Initially will be 4 sets of skis, (2 adults, 2 kids) but as the eldest moves into teen years in a couple the rack will probably need to accommodate snowboards and friends as well, so maybe 4 sets of skis and 2 boards? Looked alot at the posting for cargo boxes here as well but didn't get the feeling from what I read that there was a recommended and test box people are using for skiing?

2008 GT with factory rack but no crossbars. What do you use? Where would you recommend getting it?

Thanks for the help.

JBA

If you're really looking into 4 skis and 2 boards then you should look into getting a box, otherwise, you'l have to get 2 seperate unviversal racks.
There are 2 main rack manufacturers, Thule and Yakima. I've been a huge supporter of Yakima, but as of late is seem that Thule is making the better quality products. I have switched from Yakima after 15 years and have purchased a new thule setup recently.

BASE PRODUCT 460R PODIUM AERO FIXPOINT FOOT
RB53 Rapid Load Bars
3069 Fit Kit
91725 Universal FlatTop 6 (this will fit 4 snowboards, 4 paris of skis, or 2 boards and 2 oairs of skis)
575 Snowboard Carrier (This will fit 2 boards combined with the flat top6 you'll get what you need)
OR
86bxt Atlantis 1600 also comes in silver (This will fit 6-8 pairs of skis or 3-4 boards) The box is probably you best option especially since the cx9 is kind of tall. The Box will cut down on wind resistance both front to back and side to side. You'll be happy on windy days if you go this route.
All in all you're looking to spend about
$354.85 for the actualy rack system
$149.95 for the universal 6
$129.95 for the snowboard carrier
or
$549.95 for the atlantis 1600 box
Go to Thule.com and it has a feature that will show you exactly what you can get on your car. It doesn;t recommend the box, I'm assuming because it'll make you car very very tall.

Back