Clicking

:
2007 GT FWD, Bose/NAV
So, I never went to the dealership to have the clicking sound addressed. It has gotten pretty bad. It does it when putting it in gear, going forward, in reverse, and when the car downshifts and upshifts. Guess I should bite the bullet and bring it in to fix it and the two recalls and the creaking sound made in the strut area when turning and going up the end of my driveway.

I will plan for next weekend. I have 2 recalls, the clicking, and strut groan. I am sure I will need a rental as these things will take more than the day. I will keeps you posted.

OK, here I go on my rant. I brought my 9 to Ourisman Mazda in Laurel MD. They told me that my vehicle was not covered under the original manufacturers warranty any more and that I would have to use my Platinum extended warranty which has a $100 deductible BTW, one thing I was not told about a deductible. I said BS on the original warranty ending at 36,000 miles. Because I had a 50 mile drive to get my car serviced I arrived at the dealership with 36031 on the OD and they were refusing to honor org warranty.

I had to authorize them to work on the vehicle under the extended warranty and that was $200 just to look. If it was a warranty covered issue I only owed $100, if not I owed the all $200. After looking at the vehicle they told me the clicking was my brake pads and warped rotors causing the "main" amount of noise. They offered to change pads and turn rotors for $350 or replace pads and rotors for $750. I said BS that is not where the main noise emanates. The damn car did it at 5000 miles. They refused to address the clicking issue until I started with the main brake issue. After refusing to pay they release my vehicle to me free of charge.

According the the extended warranty the brakes and rotors are exclusionary items and are only covered if there is a major part failure. Guess I need to pull the rotors and brakes myself and replace them and go from here. I discussed this forum and the spline greasing issue, but they ignored my suggestions. I will try and take my car to the dealership in Alexandria next time. Ourisman is the worst dealership I have ever dealt with, not just because of today, but because I have had several issues with them.

Did you ever figure out the noise? I'm hearing this click sound when I got from reverse to ahead. It sounds like the drive shaft though? Of course it starting happening JUST after 36K miles.

Whenever I start my CX-9 in the garage each morning and put it in R I hear 3-5 clicks. It does this almost every morning. Sounds like it's coming from the front end.

I had my wife listen with her head near the tire, only because I could not get her to stick it under the tire, and she seems to think it is coming from the brake/caliper area. This Thanksgiving I plan on taking my car back home to my father's, pulling the caliper and rotor, resurfacing the rotor, and replacing any faulty clips to see if this solves the problem. One person in the local are PM'd me and said that the clicking only stopped after the dealership replaced a motor mount.

Another individual also stated in a PM that he has gone through two OEM sets of rotors in 12K. The service office told him that it is due to a bad design with the heat sheild being too close to the rotor, thus heat is not disipated enough to prevent warping?? I will take a good look in a couple of weeks. I am also experiencing a knock in the stearing/front end on my 07'. I will check all of my tie rods and ball joints when I am under. The 9 is only sporting 37k for all of these items.

I posted this on another forum:

Apparently there is a TSB for the "click-click" sound and the low pitch squeak in the front end. The TSB is #02-006/09, I got a copy of it from my buddy at Mazda and since I am out of warranty I just bought the part (two, one for each side) that needs to be replaced and will be getting it installed at my work (non-Mazda dealership) hopefully by this Tuesday. Part number is #TD11-34-380B which is a top strut mount. It is the same part number for either side depending wether you need only one or both. I need both replaced because I dont really know which side or if both make the "click-click and squeak" sound. I really hope this fixes the problem, I will report back as soon as they are installed.

***UPDATE***

Had both upper strut mounts (#TD11-34-380B) replaced on Saturday by a master tech here at my work (Moss Bros CJD - San Bernardino). TSB is useless. After replacing both strut mounts and being out of $200 including labor...squeak when going over bumps or pulling in/out of driveways at slow speed is still very prominent as before and "click-click" when shifting into reverse or drive from a stand still is still there as well. Do not waste your time and money (if you are out of warranty) in this TSB, it solves nothing!!! Mazda please do your research a little bit more in depth next time. BTW, I also had my tech lube up the sway bar bushings and check for leaky struts. He lubed up the bushings and the struts are in perfect visual condition. My next attack is the sway bar links and if that does not solve the problem, perhaps the sway bar bushings and finally front struts.

As you can see I am very determined to find the dam* noise issue. If anyone else finds out anything regarding this issue before me please report to us and visa-versa I will do the same. The bad thing about being out of warranty is that I have to dish out the money to find the main cause of this, so for those of you that are still under warranty and have this issue please have it looked at and repaired so you can share with us "non-warranty" individuals the cause and we can go directly to the main part/cause.

I had the same clicking noise for some time. Based on the information on this forum, my dealer first replaced the brake caliper hardware. The noise was still there. Then, they replaced the strut mounts - did not help either. After that, the mechanic noticed that the sound is coming from the engine mount. He replaced the engine mount and the noise went away. There is still some clicking noise when going over the bumps, but not as loud as before. I think it might be the second engine mount.

CX9 SportOwner,

Can you enlighten me on the solutions and steps for both...clicking (spline grease) and dielectric grease for the bump stops. I would love to take care of both these issues. Please post or link me to your previous post for repair....Thanks in advance.

Come on guys. No one has looked at my solution for the clicking or front end compression creaking.

My clicking (shift- click click click) was the front hub splines. A little grease and it hasn't been back.

The groaning and creaking under front end compression was the strut bump stops rubbing against the shaft instead of sliding. Made a LOT of noise with little wrong by resonating through the body. A generous application of dielectric grease and THAT noise hasn't been back.
You have techs tearing your cars apart replacing things for nothing. I know, one dealer replaced the top strut plates to no avail.

CX9Zoom's may have been the mount, since I didn't hear it, or they may have reduced it by simply removing and reinstalling the tire when they replaced the mount.

I would have loved for the dealership to address the spline issue, but because I refused to let them butt Fck me by charging $750+ to replace calipers and brakes they refused to persue the issue any more, even after I stated that this forum has the spline issue listed as the main solution.

I am now over the 36K warranty and am on the extended warranty were I pay $100 a pop if the problem is covered under warranty elso I owe $200 for the luxury of a Mazda tech to stick his head under the hood.

Guys,

I do not envy you on dealers that suck...document it in writing, get the persons exact name that is denying you and send to Mazda Corp and CC the owner of the dealerhip...that gets action.

BTW, with all the clicking/noises/etc, is this mainly for 07 CX9's, or is this for all yrs?

Hope you guys get your problems resolved. Good luck.
tstex

Thanks for the tip on greasing the bump stops CX9 SportOwner. This Saturday I jacked up the front end and without removing wheel I was able to apply White Lithium Grease to the top and bottom of the bump stop. Now the noise is gone and I am happy! Thanks a bunch!

The "click-click" noise will have to wait until I replace my brakes pads and rotors. That noise does not bother me as much as the creaking front end. When I do my front brakes I will also grease up the front axle shaft splines, although it is also going to be a temporary fix because the grease will act as a buffer for the tiny slack betwwen the splines on the axles shaft and the splines in the hub. I am sure that eventually as the grease degrades the "click-click" will be back.

I had this CLICK noise when moving forward or backward from stand still (much more apparent when the car had been sitting for a while) and also sometimes when downshifting or letting off the gas.

I took it in to the dealership and they replaced the #4 mount, which i think is the tranny mount? The noise was still there, but after time it has pretty much gone although happens sometimes but MUCH quieter. My car now has 15.5k miles on it (2009 model MS3).

My 2007 CX-9 makse this clicking, clunking noise when I go from drive to reverse and apply the brakes. Then from Reverse to drive it will do the same thing. It "sounds" like it's coming from the brake calipers but I have not pulled a wheel to look yet. I hope it's nothing major because I am out of warranty. If it is the motor or trans mount is that covered under the powertrain warranty?

Its most likely what CX9SportOwner mentioned a few post earlier about the very small slack between the splines of the hub and the axle. Seems like if you grease them up you will at least mask the click sound. Solving the problem would require Mazda releasing a new set of axles or hubs with less clearance between the splines to lessen the slack and solve the click sound.

My 2007 CX-9 makse this clicking, clunking noise when I go from drive to reverse and apply the brakes. Then from Reverse to drive it will do the same thing. It "sounds" like it's coming from the brake calipers but I have not pulled a wheel to look yet. I hope it's nothing major because I am out of warranty. If it is the motor or trans mount is that covered under the powertrain warranty?
RVC..I had the same thing. I took it to Mazda, took 20 minuets to fix it. I thought like you that it was maybe brakes but they knew right away it was a engine mount.

Last edited:
Back