09 with beige leather seat problem?

Richardd

I have 09 with the beige leather seat and the problem is that I'm having is with the front passenger side seat. I'm starting to see blue round marks of the seat.. (looks like a blue pen stain) on the seat, not the back part. I tried to clean it with leather cleaner, it help, but not all the way. I showed it to the dealer and he showed it to the body shop guy and he would not do anything with.. I figure it was my wife with a blue pen marks from her pants. Two week later, I see more blue stain mark and my wife pant are clean and no pen in the pant. I think it coming from the seat, like a stain coming from the leather or padding. It' only the passenger side. Any Idears? Calling the dealer tuesday.

I would be interested knowing what came of this. I will be calling my Dealer on Monday since my drivers seat is turning blue on the side bolster. I have a 2009 with less than 2k on it.

Todd

Yes, I think it's the blue from blue jeans. Mine seem to have similar. I don't wear my black leather jacket any longer as it discolors the armrest that I lay my arm on while driving.

Same here. No problem cleaning it off but blue jeans have left some color behind on the seats.

...I wonder...

I have 09 with the beige leather seat and the problem is that I'm having is with the front passenger side seat. I'm starting to see blue round marks of the seat.. (looks like a blue pen stain) on the seat, not the back part. I tried to clean it with leather cleaner, it help, but not all the way. I showed it to the dealer and he showed it to the body shop guy and he would not do anything with.. I figure it was my wife with a blue pen marks from her pants. Two week later, I see more blue stain mark and my wife pant are clean and no pen in the pant. I think it coming from the seat, like a stain coming from the leather or padding. It' only the passenger side. Any Idears? Calling the dealer tuesday.

...if the same happens on the 2010 CX9...since I hear that the leather is softer than previous years which could mean.maybe, a better quality thus not having it stained so easily...

I have owned 5 previous cars from Lexus, Ford & Toyota and have never had any type "of quick stain discoloration" on any of them. I did, however, have a darkening of the leather, but that was probably due to wear & tear...this was mostly after 80K+.

Do we have any fabric experts that can attest to leather reactions with various substrates?

Happy New Yr to all,
tstex

I'd love to know what gets the stains removed. Both blue jeans and black leather coats have stained my '07. I will never buy beige leather again.

To know this is happening quite a bit is disturbing. Shouldn't this be covered by warranty? Has anyone had any luck getting Mazda to fess up to poor quality materials?

We got a Mazda CX 9 on Halloween and within 2 weeks, we ended up with discoloration from an old leather jacket, old blue jeans, and my son's wool jacket. Mazda says that this is not covered under warranty, and I am sticking with this is an issue of not having the leather properly sealed. The 2000 Buick didn't discolor for goodness sakes! Neither has the 2002 Jag, with 85K miles! It's going back in 2 days for cleaning and potentially resealing. The discoloration has happened on seats, center console, AND doors. Highly disappointing for a 30K car to only be nice for 2 weeks.

Last edited:
This is the reason I got black leather is my car. My last car had light grey leather and jeans leave a blue stain. I found that regular cleaning with a leather cleaner kept it under control.

I can't compare because my previous car had dark leather. IMO the CX-9 looks much better with the sand interior...otherwise there's just alot of black with nothing to break it up (especially on the Sport and Touring where the trim is piano black). However, now that I'm looking at the discoloration every day I may need to change my opinion. If the leather is going to feel as crappy as it does in the CX-9, it should at least be more stain resistant.

I can't compare because my previous car had dark leather. IMO the CX-9 looks much better with the sand interior...otherwise there's just alot of black with nothing to break it up (especially on the Sport and Touring where the trim is piano black). However, now that I'm looking at the discoloration every day I may need to change my opinion.

"If the leather is going to feel as crappy as it does in the CX-9, it should at least be more stain resistant.
"

Bingo...there has to be trade-offs...crappy leather should wear much harder and longer...great looking/feeling leather you would think would need much greater maintenance, but look great.

Yup what tstex said^^

I rather have the "crappy" 07-09 leather that is going to last longer then the 2010 + "nice" leather that is too sensitive and may wear out faster or at least show wear prematurely.

Hi all,

I am hoping to take delivery of my 2010 CX-9 in a few days. We wanted black ext + sand leather interior and it was not available anywhere in Michigan. Seeing the comments on stains, looks like our disgruntled choice of black ext + black interior might help. Colors seem really hard to come by.

Hi all,

I am hoping to take delivery of my 2010 CX-9 in a few days. We wanted black ext + sand leather interior and it was not available anywhere in Michigan. Seeing the comments on stains, looks like our disgruntled choice of black ext + black interior might help. Colors seem really hard to come by.

IMHO, if you have to choose a car's interior color because of defective leather issues, you are choosing the wrong make/manufacturer of car. I have never heard of this issue on the leather of any other make/model ever. Furthermore, if you have to clean your seats everytime someone gets out of your car or completely change your attire when driving in a Mazda, who is controlling who?

In my GT 09 with lighter seats, I have not experienced this, but I mainly drive the car and do not wear blue jeans anyway. If I did and the seats were stained, either my dealer or Mazda would deal with it, period. You should not settle for anything less. Stay vigilant.

tstex

IMHO, if you have to choose a car's interior color because of defective leather issues, you are choosing the wrong make/manufacturer of car. I have never heard of this issue on the leather of any other make/model ever. Furthermore, if you have to clean your seats everytime someone gets out of your car or completely change your attire when driving in a Mazda, who is controlling who?

In my GT 09 with lighter seats, I have not experienced this, but I mainly drive the car and do not wear blue jeans anyway. If I did and the seats were stained, either my dealer or Mazda would deal with it, period. You should not settle for anything less. Stay vigilant.

tstex

I agree with you in principle. However, the 2010 leather is different so no one knows if it will suffer the same problems. Also, I experienced the problem and the cleaned the leather once. It hasn't happened to me again so maybe it was some kind of coating on the leather that was attracting the dye from jeans. I dunno. My sand leather in our 08 looks fine now.

I have a 2010 with the sand leather just 1 month old and noticed some blue stains on the side of the driver's seat. my guess is that as i get in/out of the car, i must be sliding across that area with my jeans. no stains on the actual area where i sit. i was thinking of trying the lexol cleaner/conditioner to see if it helps to remove and prevent in the future.

Are there any folks here that have Sand/Beige leather interior but haven't seen this staining issue caused by blue jeans, leather jacket etc? I used to own a 3-series long time ago which had what they called leatherette in the base model - basically a form of vinyl rather than leather - in beige color and that used to get bluish/green stains all the time and it was a nightmare to get rid off that every so often.

I had a beige interior leather in my saab, and this never happened, and I wear jeans 99% of the time. Also, just because leather is softer does not mean it is less durable. Lastly, what is likely being stained is the microscopically thin plastic coating over the seats, that is there to prevent staining (oddly enough) and heavy wear on the actual leather.

Last edited:
Back