Door Edge Guards?

We just picked up an 09 Touring, Crystal White Pearl w/ Sand interior. I really didn't notice how wide the rear doors are, until one of our kids opened the door, almost dinging the other car in the drive way. I need to get some protection on these doors. Does mazda make color matching door edge guards?

We just picked up an 09 Touring, Crystal White Pearl w/ Sand interior. I really didn't notice how wide the rear doors are, until one of our kids opened the door, almost dinging the other car in the drive way. I need to get some protection on these doors. Does mazda make color matching door edge guards?

I've been looking for the same thing after taking delivery last week and seeing how big the doors are.

The other suggestions people are giving may make sense for the OTHER car, but for the CX-9 you need an edge protector. I can't find anything online for a protector specifically made for the CX-9 (OEM or aftermarket).

So, maybe this is our only option:
http://www.carbumper.com/EW108.html
http://www.carbumper.com/EW105.html
http://www.carbumper.com/EW104.html
and other stuff here: http://www.carbumper.com/bumper_guard.html

Clear would probably look best (not a big fan of chrome), but I have no idea how durable the plastic or the adhesive is.

Last edited:
I had the 3M Clearbra installed on our CX-9 and the installation included a thin strip of Clearbra installed at the trailing edges of the doors.

I've been looking for the same thing after taking delivery last week and seeing how big the doors are.

The other suggestions people are giving may make sense for the OTHER car, but for the CX-9 you need an edge protector. I can't find anything online for a protector specifically made for the CX-9 (OEM or aftermarket).

So, maybe this is our only option:
http://www.carbumper.com/EW108.html
http://www.carbumper.com/EW105.html
http://www.carbumper.com/EW104.html
and other stuff here: http://www.carbumper.com/bumper_guard.html

Clear would probably look best (not a big fan of chrome), but I have no idea how durable the plastic or the adhesive is.

These are interesting. Chrome is out of the question for me too as I dislike anything that says "bling". Clear looks good but I am concerned that with the Florida sun/heat, the plastic will quickly yellow... unless it maybe has a silicone base?

To follow up on this: I was at Kmart the other day (don't ask) and found door edge guards (black rubber) for like $3 made by a company called "Bell".

Haven't had a chance to install them yet but they seem pretty decent quality, especially at that price. Will share some pics once installed.

I had the 3M Clearbra installed on our CX-9 and the installation included a thin strip of Clearbra installed at the trailing edges of the doors.

I had this done too, but I'm not so sure how much it really protects the door edge. Those rear doors are so large the one next to the garage wall keeps hitting the wall, no matter how careful we try to be. While most of the drywall rubs off the edge, not all of it does. Perhaps it's protecting it, but it seems like I'd have to pull the 3M off to get it back to new, which kind of defeats the purpose (although I haven't tried wiping with a wet rag yet). I'm thinking about splitting one of those pool noodles and putting it on the garage walls to protect the door edges on both of my cars. That's more of an issue for me right now than hitting another car while in a parking lot. By the way - I love the clearbra! Looks great and makes washing the bugs off the front bumper much easier.

To follow up on this: I was at Kmart the other day (don't ask) and found door edge guards (black rubber) for like $3 made by a company called "Bell".

Haven't had a chance to install them yet but they seem pretty decent quality, especially at that price. Will share some pics once installed.

Don't worry, nothing wrong with strolling through the local k-mart every once in a while. No worse than a filthy walmart.

For $3, worth a try. Please definitely post pics when you get a chance. I have blue mica and am wondering what black would look like. This seems like one of those things where the cheese factor, in terms of looks, might outweigh the value of the protection and not make it worthwhile...

Don't worry, nothing wrong with strolling through the local k-mart every once in a while. No worse than a filthy walmart.

For $3, worth a try. Please definitely post pics when you get a chance. I have blue mica and am wondering what black would look like. This seems like one of those things where the cheese factor, in terms of looks, might outweigh the value of the protection and not make it worthwhile...

Check and see if there is a bead of adhesive glue on the inside of the door edge guard. I bought something similar a while back and the edge guard stayed on my vehicle for about a year, thereafter, it started to come off of the door. When I removed it, it left a sticky residue on the edge of my car door. That is why I switched to the 3M clearbra on the edges of my doors.

Check and see if there is a bead of adhesive glue on the inside of the door edge guard. I bought something similar a while back and the edge guard stayed on my vehicle for about a year, thereafter, it started to come off of the door. When I removed it, it left a sticky residue on the edge of my car door. That is why I switched to the 3M clearbra on the edges of my doors.

I do remember seeing something on the package that it had glue in there. Did you try goo-gone to remove the residue?

Well I installed the edge guard today. It definitely had a thin bead of adhesive in there, so we'll see if i experience the same problem as chiurw after a while.

Here are some pics (not best quality - from my cell phone).

Attachments

• IMG00024-20090925-1609.jpg
    IMG00024-20090925-1609.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 1,002
  • IMG00025-20090925-1609.jpg
    IMG00025-20090925-1609.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG00026-20090925-1609.jpg
    IMG00026-20090925-1609.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG00027-20090925-1610.jpg
    IMG00027-20090925-1610.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 764
  • IMG00028-20090925-1610.jpg
    IMG00028-20090925-1610.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 776
Some additional pics from further away to see how the the edge guards are barely noticeable. Again from my cell phone.

One of the pics has my other ride (a lot less practical than CX-9).

Attachments

• IMG00001-20090927-1805.jpg
    IMG00001-20090927-1805.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG00002-20090927-1805.jpg
    IMG00002-20090927-1805.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 589
I do remember seeing something on the package that it had glue in there. Did you try goo-gone to remove the residue?

Yeah, the Goo-gone worked in removing the glue residue. Your installation looks good.

I have the same color CX9. I wonder if the clear versions of those edge guards would look better than the black (which doesn't look too bad actually).

Anyone try the clear ones?? I know they are more expensive but it they look more "transparent" then that would work for me....

Just reporting back on this. After 6 months, they are still going strong and have saved a few dings to other cars (esp now that I have 2 kids with a car seat on both sides of the car). Well worth the $3 investment.

I had this done too, but I'm not so sure how much it really protects the door edge. Those rear doors are so large the one next to the garage wall keeps hitting the wall, no matter how careful we try to be. While most of the drywall rubs off the edge, not all of it does. Perhaps it's protecting it, but it seems like I'd have to pull the 3M off to get it back to new, which kind of defeats the purpose (although I haven't tried wiping with a wet rag yet). I'm thinking about splitting one of those pool noodles and putting it on the garage walls to protect the door edges on both of my cars. That's more of an issue for me right now than hitting another car while in a parking lot. By the way - I love the clearbra! Looks great and makes washing the bugs off the front bumper much easier.

I have attached some carpet off-cuts to the wall - works well.

Cheers

Back