Anyone Tried P265/50R20 on CX-9

TX_CX9

Has anyone tried the P265/50R20 tires on a CX-9? The local discount tire said the Yokohama Parada Spec-X; P245/50R20's were on a 4 to 6 week backorder. He recommend that I go with the P265/50R20's, which also happen to be a few dollars cheaper. I need new tires ASAP as mine won't pass inspection at the end of this month. I'm set on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X after reading all the good reviews, but am worried that adding a 20 mm (0.787") wider tire and a larger diameter may affect too many things. Now granted, the P245/50R20 have a diameter of 29.645" and the P265/50R20's have a diameter of 10.433", so its only increasing by 0.785". The speedo will be off slightly, but I don't know about clearance issues with fenders, tie-rods, fender wells, etc.... We live in Texas so Im not worried about Snow, as it snows only once or twice a year that lasts for one day each time. So the wider tread pattern is attractive since there will be more rubber on the road and should help cornering, stability, grip and breaking.

Any thoughts or people who have tried this size tire on the factory 20" wheel?

FYI...i ended up buying the P255 size Parads Spec-X tires (20 inch wheel) and they have been working great on our 2008 CX-9 GT!!! We've put over 20,000 miles on them so far and still well over 50% tread life left (put on about 15 months ago). They handle great, look good and are quiet. I did take a large nail thru the side wall on one tire last month so we had to buy another one, Ouch... THey are not cheap, but they appear to be worth the $$$.

Did you noticed any change in fuel comsumption? I changed my 2 front tyres and immediatly I noticed a significant increase.

Did you noticed any change in fuel comsumption? I changed my 2 front tyres and immediatly I noticed a significant increase.

What tire size did you go with and how much worse is your fuel consumption? I am getting ready to change my wife's rear tires and wanted to get wider; either 265 or 275. I even thought since it is only a FWD going with maybe a 275 rear and 245 front, but not sure how that will work.

If you go staggered, you lose the flexibility of tire rotation (F/R with directionals).
Front tires usually are worn on the outer edges (slight toe-in and non-vertical when turning),
rear tires the inner edges (slight negative camber).
Tire rotation F/R is perfect for balancing the wear.

If you go staggered, you lose the flexibility of tire rotation (F/R with directionals).
Front tires usually are worn on the outer edges (slight toe-in and non-vertical when turning),
rear tires the inner edges (slight negative camber).
Tire rotation F/R is perfect for balancing the wear.

Interestingly, on my 2 year old CX9, the front tires are more worn on the inside compared to the outside edges, and the rears are wearing out fairly evenly. It's possible there is more negative camber dialed in on my front suspension. Needless to say, it's time to rotate them wheels/tires.

Back