Canadian DRLs

kboutsider

:
2003 Protege 5
I'm not one to just ask but I've done a ton of searching on the subject and I'm unable to find a how-to. I am trying to disable my low beams as my drls and want to use my fogs. Where I live in Canada DRL's are law so I would like my fogs to come on when I start my 5. Any help would be great.

I've tried to do this and asked to a lot of peoples that are good in car electric and they all give it up hehe, if you find how to do this, you will help a lot of people !

Do the lights go off when you apply the parking brake? I was sorting through some wiring diagrams. I did post a link to the Shop Manual as well.

Attachments

• DRL_1.JPG
    DRL_1.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 891
I have also asked to some people how to put the fogs independant, but with the DRL module it's almost impossible hehe

Do the lights go off when you apply the parking brake? I was sorting through some wiring diagrams. I did post a link to the Shop Manual as well.

Yes they do but the light comes on in the dash, which I don't want for a couple of reasons 1 being that light comes on when you have a brake issue and 2nd it's annoying.

Yes thanks a million for the shop manual post grabbed that as soon as I saw it haven't had a chance to look at it though had to go to work.

Yes, the DRL turns off when the hand/parking brakes are applied.

From the diagram that you posted, I think the DRL module is missing because it just show the lo-beam connected to a relay getting power directly from the battery. This might be a US model diagram.

It would not be hard to come up with a circuit to turn the fog lights on to run them as DRL instead of the lo-beams. The hardest part is doing a nice wiring harness with the proper connectors to avoid cutting up the original factory harness.

We need an electronics person.

I don't have the wiring diagram for the Canadian Mazda5.
It is possible the Canadian MZ5 DRL is only a routine in the computer programming itself.

conditions for drl for example are:

- Engine running
- Light switch not in OFF position
- HAnd brake not pulled up
- Light sensor not detecting 'Night',

The computer can sense the above easily.
Then to do a DRL function, the system
- computer simply turns on 'headlight low' relay.
- relay sends 12 volts to the headlights.
=================

It Will not be easy to automatically divert that 12v to the foglights
and back for normal headlight functions.

====

If the car does not yet have a drl, then it is easy. Just buy those
drl add-ons from Canadian tire..

I spent a couple of hours yesterday coming up with a circuit to get the fog lights to go on as DRL instead of the using the lo-beam lights. From my experience with my HID conversion, I believe the lo-beam lights runs at reduce power when in DRL mode. This is accomplished by sending a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal to the lo-beam lights. The ratio between the on and off time of the PWM signal determines the power (or brightness) of the lo-beam lights.

Based on this assumption I when ahead and designed a circuit, here is what I have come up with. I have tested it on a test bench and it works like this:

DRL off ----> Fog lights off, lo-beams off
DRL on ----> Fog lights on, lo-beams off
Lo-beams on ----> Fog lights off

With the lo-beams on, the circuit still allows you to turn the fog lights on. You can still manually switch the lo-beams and fog lights on and off using the factory switch next to the steering wheel.

As I have mentioned before the hardest part is to locate a source for the proper H11 and H7 connectors to build a wiring harness so one does not have to cut in to the original factory harness to do this mod. Here is the schematic, anyone with suggestions are welcome.

PS:Is it legal to use the log lights as DRL?

25rpgsy.jpg

Yes it's legal tu use the fog lights as DRL, just check the Neon and the Murano. If you would be able to do a "howto" to put the fogs independant would be a lot more usefull !

Yes it's legal tu use the fog lights as DRL, just check the Neon and the Murano. If you would be able to do a "howto" to put the fogs independant would be a lot more usefull !

I do not have all the parts needed to build a proper harness. I am missing a couple of correct relays and sockets. I can certainly put everything together once I get the relays but I do not know where I can get the proper H7 and H11 connectors. I can document everything including the building of the circuit and wiring up the relays. All the parts (relays, Mosfets, diodes, resistors, capacitors, fuse, fuse holders, wires, wire looms, prototype board and project box) not including the H7 and H11 connector should come in under $20CAN.

I might be able to start the circuit on Thursday or Friday. My other car's fuel pump just sprang a leak. I will need to replace it but not in this heat that we are currently experiencing. I will update this thread as things progress.

PS:AwaKeN, if you are brave enough you can be the guinea pig for this project since I was not planning to do this mode (at least not until there is a bright enough LED H11 light to replace the Halogen fog lights that we have now).

I have HID now in my fogs, if i can be sure that you will not screw up my M5 i have no problem to be the guinea pig !

I have HID now in my fogs, if i can be sure that you will not screw up my M5 i have no problem to be the guinea pig !

I have designed it so the factory fog and lo-beam outputs are isolated from each other and from my circuit with the 1N4001 diodes. If anything bad should happen with my circuit it will not find its way back to the factory connection. I used to build and compete autonomous sumo robots when I was an University student. So I know how to interface and isolate hi power applications to sensitive microelectronics.

The biggest issues for me is the mechanical aspect such as finding a way to house and mount the relays and circuit board. The other is just getting the right length of wires, route them nicely and sourcing the proper H7 and H11 connectors.

Check your PM, I am sending you a link to some of my sumo robots.

Your project is very cool Dave, if you want a Guinea Pig just contact me hehe, and if you speak french it will be better ! My english is not so good :p

Some good news, I found a source for the H7 and H11 sockets. It was posted by Bigdogoh in the "Lamp Replacement Guide MAZDA 5" thread. The company is autolumination located in AZ.

http://autolumination.com/connectors.htm

I just need a little more info from AwaKeN on his HID conversion so I can order the correct sockets.

AwaKeN, is both your lo-beam and fog lights HID? If they are HID, did you use the relay harness kit when doing your conversion? I need to know this so I can order the appropriate quantity and correct gender H7 and H11 sockets.

Dave

My hid on the low beam i have the relay harness that is connected to the "remote" wire on the corner. and my HID in the fog lights is plug with the original harness (H11) Hope it's more clear like that ?

Any progress on this? I've been trying a few different things and haven't gotten anywhere.

I had some difficulties in finding the proper H11 and fuse connectors. The only places I was able to find them are in the US (I'm in Canada), I order them a couple of weeks ago from 2 different sources and I hope they will be arriving this week.

I have started with some documentations and will take pictures while I am assembling the circuit. The challenge is making it plug and play without modifying or cutting the original factory harness. The harness needs tol work for someone who has done the HID lo-beam and or fog light conversion, or just stock configuration.

There will be some updates to this later this week.

Back