Clearcoat Issues on 20" Rims

dbal72

:
08 Mazda CX9 AWD GT w/ Nav.
Hi:

New to forum and just purchased a slightly used 08 GT AWD w/ 11k miles on it. I have read about a bad batch of 20" wheels produced in 2008 that have issues with the clearcoat. Even after washing the wheels they look very dirty. Unfortunately my 08 falls into that bad batch. I was searching this forum for more info in it but can't seem to find anything. I do know from reading somewhere in the past that some dealers are replacing all four at no cost. Does anyone have any feedback on this or help to steer me in the right direction? I haven't contacted the local Mazda Dealer yet because I was hoping to arm myself first with some literature. No TSB's I could find on it. :confused:Thanks in advance!

Why not contact your local Mazda dealer and see what they say about it?
If your local dealer is not willing, contact Mazda corporate (@ mazdausa.com) by calling their 1-800 number. I am sure corporate people must have heard about this issue. They can authorize your local dealer to replace it.

Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to call the dealer but was hoping to have some more ammo in hand as I know how dealers are. I guess if there is resistance then I will call Mazda of America. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with both on my 2004 Mazda 6 that had rotors warp within 10k miles and I had to fight both for about 6 months before winning that one.

I took my CX-9 into the dealer for an oil change and had them take pictures of the rims to send to the Mazda Rep. They will get back to me early next week. I will let everyone know.

So I spoke to the Mazda Service advisor. The Mazda rep. said "no" to both my clearcoat issue and the interior trim pieces. There is a TSB by Mazda on the interior door trim pieces that scratch easily and still they say no to the warranty? Ridiculous. I will gets some photos to post so everyone can see what I complaining with in regards to the clearcoat rim problem. I told the advisor I am not done with this by any means. Of course the Service Manager is out for the week on vaction so I have to wait another week. The saga begins...(bicker)

The problem is that the District Mazda rep. already said "no". According to the dealer once they say "no" it means "no". I am not accepting that. Any ideas on how to pursue other than calling the dealer non-stop and bugging them?

dbal72,
I am not sure about the wheels, but for the interior sliver-painted trim pieces, are there visible scratches on yours?
My dealer had no problem replacing them. He could easily scratch off more paint with his own fingernail. However, there is VIN range they look up to see if the new ones are needed. If yours is not within the range, those pieces were probably done with the new formula (painting formula) already. At least, you should be able to replace the trim pieces if your VIN falls into the range (listed on TSB).

As Vikefan7 said, keep bugging them until they surrender.....if you think you are in the right.

Ceric: I did check the VIN of the interior trim up front and my CX falls into that category. You can take your fingernail and drag (Not dig in) and the paint comes off. Crazy... So the District Mazda Rep. called me the other day and said "No" again to both. By the time I was done talking to her I got her to reconsider but she wants to read and see the photos of anyone else who has had these two problems. I need everyones help!! If anyone has photos of your scratched interior trim before it was replaced by the dealer please PM me along with which dealer fixed it for you. Also, anyone with the clearcoat problem as well. I haven't noticed anyone on this site with the clearbcoat issue but one of the other mazda forum sites had numerous cases of it so I will have to email them as well. Once I receive the photos and info I can submit to the rep. and she will see I am not crazy.

I told her it is strange that my car has only 12k miles on it, looks immaculate inside and out with the exception to the interior door trim and wheels. She claims I sprayed some sort of destructive chemical on the wheels. Funny...I have used the same mild wheel cleaner (Eagle 1 Brand) for years with no other issues on my past or present vehicles.

dbal72,
Please search threads on this forum. I remember someone posted a picture of a scratched silver trim piece.

I just had my trim pieces for my 08' GT AWD replaced under warranty by Royal Moore Mazda in Hillsboro, OR. No issues whatsoever. I had a lot of scratches on mine and told them about the TSB and asked if I could get them replaced and they just did it. Sorry, I don't have pics.

Well after sending the District Mazda Rep. numerous examples of the trim issue with other CX9 owners they will replace under warranty. However, she said I am still on my own with the clear coat issue. I am still battling this one out. I gave her a few other customers that have had the same thing happen. If anyone else had had this issue please let me know. Seems to be a batch of 2008 20" rims.

Well after sending the District Mazda Rep. numerous examples of the trim issue with other CX9 owners they will replace under warranty. However, she said I am still on my own with the clear coat issue. I am still battling this one out. I gave her a few other customers that have had the same thing happen. If anyone else had had this issue please let me know. Seems to be a batch of 2008 20" rims.

I had the interior trim replaced with the TSB in hand, but now I am also experiencing the wheel clearcoat issue. The fronts are much worse than the rear wheels. Let me know if you want pics and I'll forward them.

Build date is 12/07

My 2009 GT had to have all the silver trim pieces replaced as well...it should not be an issue for ANY dealer to replace something that is under a TSB and defective...if it is, have an attorney friend draw-up a letter and send it to the dealer, the regional Mazda rep, Mazda USA and your State Attorney General. Also make a note in there that if it is not amicably resolved soon, you will send the same letter to every competitor in their selling area. Your issue has to be 100% legitimate.

Keep calling, e-mailing and writing every day until they fix something that is defective..."the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

Good luck,
tstex

Last edited:
img376.jpg

Here is a picture of the inside of the spoke to show the breakdown in the clear coat. Speckled black dirt. This is after it is cleaned.

Having the same issue with the clearcoat on the wheels. Got my 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring new 12/1/07. Will discuss with dealer this Friday.

Let me know what your dealer says about it. My dealer and the District Mazda rep. are not stepping up to do anything and claim I did the damage and will not cover under warranty. I am at a dead end and have pushed and pushed this issue.(headshake

Did you guys having wheel problems used any detergent specifically for wheels?
Some of those are erosive. I used a wheel cleaner on my old BMW's wheels. The center caps were totally destroyed (paint for logo on the caps peered off).
Just a thought.
However, you should continue to raise the issue with other Mazda dealers or up to corporate if you have to.

Last edited:
Let me know what your dealer says about it. My dealer and the District Mazda rep. are not stepping up to do anything and claim I did the damage and will not cover under warranty. I am at a dead end and have pushed and pushed this issue.(headshake

wow. my dealer replaced my valvecover due to the finish flaking off...and i worked for a ford dealership a while back, and ford replaced the seats and door panels out of a mustang under warranty for 'fading.' even though it was quite clear that the person had used some really strong chemical on them to clean them...and ford even admitted that it was the customer's fault. damn shelby gt's...they're 'special' customers.

i would raise hell until mazda replaced your wheel(s). it's ridiculous that they won't stand behind their product like they should. i'd send pictures to everyone at mazda and complain...the higher up you go, the more likely you are to get what you deserve.

Back