launching help

myspd3

:
07 MazdaSpeed 3 Red
hey guys so i've been trying to launch my car and i can't seem to get it right. this is my first manuel car and i just bought it about 3 weeks ago so does anyone want to give me some advice?

hey guys so i've been trying to launch my car and i can't seem to get it right. this is my first manuel car and i just bought it about 3 weeks ago so does anyone want to give me some advice?

Don't launch it at all especially while you are trying to learn how to drive it. Clutches are expensive, and the stock motor mounts do not like to deal with that level of hurt.

Don't launch it at all especially while you are trying to learn how to drive it. Clutches are expensive, and the stock motor mounts do not like to deal with that level of hurt.

yea i know it's not going to be an everyday thing it's just that i'm going to the track today to see what i can run stock!
i got the shifting and everything down i just dont know wtf i'm doing when it comes to launching lol
thanks though

Why are you abusing your new car?

There is no reason to "launch" your car on the street. It's something that a teenage boy would do. You should learn to drive the car properly instead.

Why are you abusing your new car?

There is no reason to "launch" your car on the street. It's something that a teenage boy would do. You should learn to drive the car properly instead.

i'm not abusing it. like i told sport6 i know how to drive the car already i just don't know how to launch it. and i'm not going to mess it up that's why i'm asking for advice.

you got it 3 weeks ago, do you have more than 1000 miles??? probably not so yea your beating on your car when you should be breaking it in nice and easy. since this is a manual you do have to be mindful of the break in more than an automatic. Have you been engine braking to help the lower piston rings seat properly?

Man let him enjoy his damn car. Anytime someone mentions "launch" everyone holds their breath like its some forbidden pleasure. Maybe he got it used?? The occasional launch won't hurt anything. I have a speed 6 so its different because of AWD so I can't really help you. I usually rev to 3500-4000 and let the clutch out (not dropping the clutch). I feather it out until about 3K. Can't drop the clutch unless you wan't to bog the engine.

you got it 3 weeks ago, do you have more than 1000 miles??? probably not so yea your beating on your car when you should be breaking it in nice and easy. since this is a manual you do have to be mindful of the break in more than an automatic. Have you been engine braking to help the lower piston rings seat properly?

(uhm) oh i guess this is my fault i forgot to mention it's an 07 with 27k miles on it. sorry hahaha
trust me if this was a brand new car i would not even be worried about launching

wow, way to jump down the kid's throat guys.

the car itself is hard to "launch". my advice to you if you've got the cash to spare, get a good set of sticky tires before you hit the track. if you've been driving stick for a while then you should be able to figure it out on your own. it's your car and your own driving style.

I was just saying that parts are expensive on this car to learn things on, that's all. Didn't mean to start everyone raining on the parade.

Just ask that 18 year old kid that learned how to drive a stick with this car, hot spotted the clutch and broke a tooth on 2nd gear. Though that is most likely from all out abuse.

That's all I meant by it.

Launching the car is not that tricky. Rev to about 2500, DSC off, feather the clutch and youll get a tiny bit of spin, it will hook, and off you go.

This does not work if you are fully bolted pushing 22 psi on R compounds. Spin city ftw!!

just so you know cars in the new age dont need to be broken in. the cylinders have a far greater precision than they used to. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousandths of an inch, now they are in the ten thousandths. Bores are rounder and straighter. pistons and the rings fit better, and that means there is less need for break in the parts. There’s less friction, less heat buildup and less chance of improper seating of the piston rings. the piston rings dont leak oil like they used to, or at all, without the break in period. id say if you let your car warm up to proper temperature first and only beat it up now and again for a while youll be just fine. i beat up mine almost out of the lot and it never burned a drop of oil. i ran sea foam about 1000 miles ago and my car has nearly 50,000 miles. not one bit of smoke out of the back. my motor was clean. some people follow the "golden rules" still. like changing your oil every 3000 miles. there was a test on here from a mazdaspeed3's oil after 5000k. the oil was black with carbon, but the composition was nearly perfect. newer cars just run better, cleaner, and are ready to go from the first time you put in the key.

on that note, your car has 27000 miles. i say give it hell and see what you can do on the track. get a collection of advice and mix and match and see what works for you.

i load to 2700-2900 and feather the clutch out until she grabs. each shift point will be different for each car depending on mods and just how lucky you got from the factory with hp and tq. but id say you should shift between 5300 and 5600 if its stock. good luck!!!

you gotta slip the clutch a little when launching the car. if you dump it, the tires will spin or you will bog down. I wont launch any higher than 3k, usually right around 2700rpm

just so you know cars in the new age dont need to be broken in. the cylinders have a far greater precision than they used to. Where cylinder clearances used to be in the thousandths of an inch, now they are in the ten thousandths. Bores are rounder and straighter. pistons and the rings fit better, and that means there is less need for break in the parts. Theres less friction, less heat buildup and less chance of improper seating of the piston rings. the piston rings dont leak oil like they used to, or at all, without the break in period. id say if you let your car warm up to proper temperature first and only beat it up now and again for a while youll be just fine. i beat up mine almost out of the lot and it never burned a drop of oil. i ran sea foam about 1000 miles ago and my car has nearly 50,000 miles. not one bit of smoke out of the back. my motor was clean. some people follow the "golden rules" still. like changing your oil every 3000 miles. there was a test on here from a mazdaspeed3's oil after 5000k. the oil was black with carbon, but the composition was nearly perfect. newer cars just run better, cleaner, and are ready to go from the first time you put in the key.

new cars need to be broken in, period. even the mazda manual says there is like a 600 mile period.

each shift point will be different for each car depending on mods and just how lucky you got from the factory with hp and tq.

Not trying to start a fight but that sentence completely contradicted your arguement. if these cars were built with such high tolerances then there wouldnt be much difference from one car to the other. Bearings need time to seat properly to ensure proper lubrication, same goes with rings. Thats why people tell you to use the engine to brake, to help seat the lower piston rings. Upper rings seat quickly since they are always loaded. This is the reason some cars that are supposed to make X amount of power never do.

Not trying to start a fight but that sentence completely contradicted your arguement. if these cars were built with such high tolerances then there wouldnt be much difference from one car to the other. Bearings need time to seat properly to ensure proper lubrication, same goes with rings. Thats why people tell you to use the engine to brake, to help seat the lower piston rings. Upper rings seat quickly since they are always loaded. This is the reason some cars that are supposed to make X amount of power never do.

no i agree with you to some extent. thats why each manufacturer and model have their own break in periods like you said. imo if 1 out of 20 cars out of the factory needed some time to set the rings then they would just say x miles break in to avoid the % that would potentally leak oil. idk, i guess its all what you feel. i dont think a few launches will break the car. if you auto-x out of the factory id say watch yourself, but i think newer cars will be all set with the average sports car driver from the dealer. i see what your saying though. (thumb)

To start with just drive the car like you would leave aggressively on the street trying to minimize tire spin, as you get use to the power band you can start adding more RPM with a little clutch slippage, practice! Object is to leave as hard as you can with minimal tire spin. Practice, as said before, parts and tires aren’t cheap especially if this is a DD as it sounds.

Not only are you breaking in engine component on a break in also transmission and all drive line parts need to seat in well for optimum performance and longevity of parts.

Not only are you breaking in engine component on a break in also transmission and all drive line parts need to seat in well for optimum performance and longevity of parts.
SamJackson.gif

j/k
Had to hehe
(uhm) oh i guess this is my fault i forgot to mention it's an 07 with 27k miles on it. sorry hahaha
trust me if this was a brand new car i would not even be worried about launching

Back