Pic request - 255/50/20 Tires on OEM rims

WaxiP5

:
05 Legacy GT + 03 Protege5
Anyone rolling on this tire size? Can you please post a pic as I am trying to see if I can size up in a few months. Thanks.

WaxiP5.
Not all 255/50/20s are of the same width and diameters. They varies slightly.
tirerack.com has the detail widths, diameter, and other parameters of any tire they carry.
Some tires are rounder (cross-section view), others are more squarish.

^ I am aware of that. I just want to see how they look on the OEM rims.

I would like to see them too. The stock width is just too narrow for my taste. I actually have that size on my snow rim setup. I would like to see on OEM rims.

I apologise for the crappy pic. Not much space in my garage to do this.

Passenger front Yoko Paradas 255/50R-20
3787948306_be8c23f74b.jpg

Passenger rear Yoko Paradas 255/50R-20
3787138161_1dedb55019.jpg

Thanks for the pics. The 255/50 definitely looks like it has more meat (sidewall) to them. How are the Yokos in terms of ride comfort?

Compared to the OEM Duelers, I can definitely say it's noticeably quieter, and a tad more comfortable ride. Could be due to flat spotting. Not entirely sure since I traded in my Duelers with less than 100mi on them.
I don't think there's much difference between a Parada 245/50R-20 and Parada 255/50R-20 except maybe a little more sidewall for comfort. I have not had the chance to test these in the rain yet.

Flat-spotting only affect the first few minutes of driving, not afterwards.
The width of tire is measured from sidewall to sidewall, not the width of contact patch.
Even with the same 255 spec, some tires' contact patch could be significantly wider than others.

Thanks for the pic danz75. Looks like the sidewalls do not bulge out too much from the fatter tire.

The width of tire is measured from sidewall to sidewall, not the width of contact patch.
Even with the same 255 spec, some tires' contact patch could be significantly wider than others.

My Honda Accord with Bridgestone Turanzas seem to flat spot easily and will last for quite awhile especially if it's been sitting and the weather is cold.

With my limited experience with the OEM Duelers, I can say that the Paradas seem to be quieter and smoother. My wife who is not even remotely interested in auto details even said that.

I believe that danz75 has the 255/50R20. CX9-SportOwner has 245/60R18.

Brand(width) Diameter Revs/Mile
OE Bridgestone Dueler(20") 29.8" 699
OE Bridgestone Dueler(18") 29.7" 701
Yoko Parada Spec-X(245) 29.8" 698
Yoko Parada Spec-X(255) 30.1" 690

In short, it(the Yoko 255) is off by <1.5%. I wouldn't worry about it.
A typical BMW speedometer is off by more than 5% (<8% is considered as "normal" by BMW).
Next time you sit in a sports car, the speedometer could be lying to you....
I checked with local radar warning display to confirm that also.
The speedometer on CX9 is very accurate, on the contrary.

Last edited:
I agree with Ceric. I wasn't too concerned about the accuracy of the speedometer because to me, the difference is negligeble. How accurate are speedometers in cars anyway? Likewise, the gagues in my car only provide an indication of the data. If I wanted something more accurate, I would get a scangauge or some other sophisicated tool.

In anycase, i'm only driving the car, not making beer. ;)

I had flatspotting on one of my cars in the past after I was rear-ended. You could tell at speed. It is similar to certain tires that have pronounced steel belt overlapping. After the accident, it was really annoying until I got the tire changed. In the case of the belt overlapping, I couldn't do anything about it other than change out the tires with a different model.

Back