Gear indication display on dash

danz75

While driving on the freeway today, I was at 60+mph and around 2300 rpm and in 6th gear. I let up on the gas a little to maintain a constant speed and saw the rpms drop to ~1800. Gear indicator still showed 6.

If the gear indicator is supposed to show which gear i am in, why is it that my rpms dropped(felt like a gear change) and yet still stayed in 6?

Is there a way besides being in manual shifting to show what the actual gear the car is in?

While driving on the freeway today, I was at 60+mph and around 2300 rpm and in 6th gear. I let up on the gas a little to maintain a constant speed and saw the rpms drop to ~1800. Gear indicator still showed 6.

If the gear indicator is supposed to show which gear i am in, why is it that my rpms dropped(felt like a gear change) and yet still stayed in 6?

Is there a way besides being in manual shifting to show what the actual gear the car is in?

Lock up torque converter in the transmission which has nothing to do with changing gears. You can be in 6th gear and giving a little gas you will not be in lock-up condition until you level off and stay steady for a few seconds (less than 15). The convert then locks and your RPMs drop. You can verify this by while in lockup mode, just tap your brake (super light tap enough to turn lights on) and the torque converter will unlock and your rpms will raise

Lock up torque converter in the transmission which has nothing to do with changing gears. You can be in 6th gear and giving a little gas you will not be in lock-up condition until you level off and stay steady for a few seconds (less than 15). The convert then locks and your RPMs drop. You can verify this by while in lockup mode, just tap your brake (super light tap enough to turn lights on) and the torque converter will unlock and your rpms will raise

That's interesting. I wonder if that is covered in the user manual. I'll have to try that on my way home.

At constant speed on flat terrain, CX9 only drops down to 5th when speed is below 42mph.
The-9 is right. The torque converter affects the rpms once it engages.
Besides, the indicator shows the computer's intention. When accelerating, you would see the indicator changes before the actually gear change happens.

Agree with The 9. Even though you are in 6th, the rpms drop slightly once the torque converter locks up. This is a normal function of the automatic transmission.

Agree with The 9. Even though you are in 6th, the rpms drop slightly once the torque converter locks up. This is a normal function of the automatic transmission.

Well, this is the first car i've own or driven that has the gear indication so it's new to me and i'm learning more about it.

Thanks for all the help.

Back