AWD System

fxpthl

Anybody out there with this model that can tell me if this is an option that is guided by the computer or can you put into and outof four wheel drive? Just curious. Thanks.

My old Chrysler Pacifica had a purely mechanical/fluid awd system and frankly I did not like it. I would rather have all systems monitored by the computer as it is faster and smoother in it's activation.

Prior to owning the CX-9, I had a subaru outback. I loved that AWD on that car. the A/T had a 90/10 ratio and could go up to 50/50 in slipping conditions. Some guys figured out how to hard wire a switch to the solenoid to get 50/50 on demand.

I wish there was a way to do this on the cx-9.

danz75,
There is a solenoid on the coupling device of CX9 that controls the power transferring to the rear wheels.
Workshop manual describes in details. Interested to try? Personally, I don't dare to go that far.

I would like to but probably not now since it's still new and under warranty. i wonder if anyone else has attempted to do this?

I know that the 2009 Honda pilot has a button on the dash that will engage 4WD(not sure if it is 50/50) for speeds under 18mph.

A lot of the subaru owners i knew did this on cars that were past factory warranty and did it for more control in offroad conditions.

But I'd be interested to know if anyone has looked at this or attempted it? I wouldn't think so since the 2007s are still under warranty.

I believe there is a way you can just keep it FWD. My brother-in-law has a Speed 6, which I believe runs on the same AWD system. With a touch of the e-brake, he engages the car to just FWD. The e-brake is not on (just slightly pulled), but the light is on, so the system thinks the e-brake is engaged, therefore does not give any power to the rear wheels. This was very easy to prove with his car as it's much lighter and faster. I have not tried it on the wife's CX-9, probably will not until we see some white stuff on the ground. It will not be easy as it has a "foot" e-brake.

The CX-9 has a chime that dings when you leave the ebrake on while you're moving. That would be slightly annoying...

Back