Tire size question please comments

ab040501

:
2008 CX-9 GT
What are the disadvantage of using other size like 255/50R20 or 265/35R22 compare to 245/50R20?

Last edited:
CX9 SportOwner which tire size are you using on your CX9? I'm planning to get a set of chrome wheel and tires, any suggestion?

Thanks for the response my CX-9 is GT model with 245/50R20, if I replace it with same size Chrome will the TPM sit properly and will not have any issue? Should I keep the original or trade it, any benefits of it sitting in my garage if i will be using Yokohama Parada all season tire on Chrome rim?

Is Parada 20" good on snow too? You are using 18" right? My points is if Parada is good on snow I will just use it. On the other hand having two sets one for snow and one for summer will prolong the life of both and save money too in the long run.

Depends on how much snow, and more importantly. ice, you get. We don't get enough snow and ice to justify a second set of wheels and tires right now. That is why I chose the Paradas in the end. Best winter rating of the available tires.

If you can afford a second set, nothing beats dedicated snow tires for winter.

Attachments

• Tire Rack Ratings.jpg
    Tire Rack Ratings.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 183
I like Yokohama Parada Spec-X, but when I try shopping around here in Vancouver BC, Canada I can't find size 245/50R40. Anyone got a suggestion where I can get them here in BC?

ab040501,
Ever consider buying it from tirerack.com?
I don't know how much (or how long) it will cost/take, but Tirerack.com ships to Canada.
Here is a quote from their website:
"All orders from Tire Rack are billed in US currency. On the day the transaction is processed, your credit card company will convert to Canadian currency using the current exchange rates and fees of the issuing bank.
Taxes and duties are collected on behalf of the applicable Canadian government agencies. No additional taxes, duties, or fees will be collected by UPS Canada upon delivery.
Delivery, though, may be delayed by customs procedures."

The Yoko Parada Spec-X 245/50R20 is $159 each (excl. S&H) at tirerack.com.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...lse&partnum=45VR0PSX&fromCompare1=yes&place=5

Ceric, thanks for the info I will consider it if I can't really find any here. BTW, do you use Parada Spec-X 245/50R20? Can you post a picture of your tire please? Thanks again.

No. I am waiting for mine to wear out ...
SportOwner posted a picture above already.
More pictures can be found on tirerack.com (even hi-res ones).

After reading other posting, it looks like my other option is to order 255/50R20 of Parada Spec-X which is available here from one of Yokohama distributor. Or wait until tires wear out and drive to Bellingham Discount Tire and replace my old tires there, and drive home with new tire no shipping to worry about.

Thanks for all the information this site is really good, especially to people like you who spend time responding question to newbie like me.

How long it will take for the original tire to wear out? I'm driving 300Km on average per week sometimes less. I don't carry heavy load on a regular basis.
I’m not an agresive driver, and I follow speed limits too (I develop this habit from driving a hybrid).

I live in the Truckee/Tahoe area and we will be in the market for STUDDED Snow tires for our 09 GT AWD Sexy9. They allow studded tires here...and we definitely need them. Our other car is a Jeep Cherokee 4WD and when we went from winter tires to Studded, I couldn't believe the difference in traction. We live at 6500 feet so I will be driving up and down a 10% grade daily. We have the 20" rims, but want to buy snows for 18" rims. We will most likely buy a second set or rims and tires as we switch to snow tires from about October/November to April/May. Any experience or recommendations on the best for 18" Studded winter tires and separate rims. (The rims don't have to be fancy since it is covered in snow for most of the season).

I will print out the list from CX9 sportowner above. But, we prefer to have our local guys order the tires/rims as they will be the ones swapping out the tires every winter (no charge:).

Thank you in advance for any help:)

Thanks for recs...I would be happy to get away from studs if the tires provide like traction. Yes, they do make Blizzak 20s. Okay, I went on Tire Rack and the results are as follows for recommendations for the CX-9:
20" (245/50-20): Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25; Blizzak LM-60 or Blizzak DM-V1
18" (245/60-18): Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1; Winter Dueler DM-Z2

Does anyone have any experience with any of these. And, any comments as to whether 18" vs. 20" is better for handling in snow/ice?

Thanks!

09sxy9,
You really don't need 20" since you will get extra rims. Bigger wheels serve no purpose on snow/ice and they cost more.
On the 18", the DM-Z2 is being closed out, DM-V1 is replacing it (available on 08/10).
To me, the choice seems simple. I will wait for DM-V1 if I were you.

Back