List known issue CX-9

semrz1

:
Mazda CX-9
Hello everyone,
I've been a member on this site since late 2007, and that year, I bought 2007 model. In Q3 2008, sold my 2007 model and flewback home. I bought again brand new 2008 CX-9. What intrigue me is the probelm reported on this site such as throttle, side mirror and warping rotor. As it goes, either my X-2007 or current 2008 model had not major issue except my 2008 had four rotor replace because of warping (15,000km).
  1. Can anyone share with me if the throttle issue occurs on specific year model?
  2. Has anyone experience with their car power accelaration not consistent? Does the power come and goes, and then back again?
  3. Driving uphill probelm (power cut), again, is it specific to year model?

My CX-9 has gone 26,000km with no probelm. Hopefully it stays that way.

The problem of 1 and 2 may be related. However, I haven't experienced either.
As for #3, it applies to a VIN range. Newer models have no such issue (a running software change according to Mazda). Mine was built on 12/07. It is within the range (see TSB for range). Mine was updated with new software even though I did not exprience any issue. I told my advisor that I need to go up sierra mountains. I would really hate it if it happend on my way to skiing. He agreed and update the software for me. Great guy.

Mine have had only one issue.
The rear windows refused to roll down all the way. They were blocked by styrofoams inside the doors. The styrofoams went loose under the baking of summer heat. The glue was not sufficient (must be bad Monday for a Japanese worker that day). I have known one other guy who had the same issue. That guy could have made several CX9s that day. :cool:
It was an easy fix w/o new parts - just more glue.

As far as I know, the throttle body issue is not isolated to a certain range of cars (i.e. they have not started using a new throttle body as a running line change). Basically, any of us are prone to the problem, and possibly out of warranty. The drivetrain warranty gives us a little more protection, but I could see Mazda denying such a claim under drivetrain coverage, stating that a throttle body is ancillary to the drivetrain.

Hopefully, this will turn into a TSB to help simplify getting the stealer service department to diagnose and authorize the repair, and give us leverage for goodwill consideration from Mazda if the breakdown occurs out of warranty,

This car makes me nervous sometimes.....throttle body......$5,400 transfer case on the AWD (just for the part), leaking front strut and front suspension hiss (on mine), and lets not forget the VVT actuator issue some have had.

There's enough about it that I like, but would I repurchase???????

Oh yeah, on mine, the little cord for the smartkey is frayed and hanging by one nylon cord. I took it in at 11,000 miles and thirteen months, and they said I was out of warranty (more than a year) and it was a wear item. The cord is not available separate from the transponder, and the transponder would have to be dealer programmed, basically $213 plus 0.5 hr labor.Two different dealers took the same position. That's the kind of stuff that could possible keep me from getting another Mazda. Also, when they replaced my right strut, the service manager told me replacing the strut does not break alignment on this car (a blatant lie), so Mazda will not pay to reset toe. After the repair, the car came back with the wheel 20 degrees off-center to the left. Only after complaining did they realign the front at the dealership's expense. The alignment was nowhere on the ticket, so I know he wasn't lying that Mazda wouldn't cover alignment after a front strut replacement. I could go on. Some of you guys may not like what I have to say about Mazda warranty/service, and that's fine. You can exile me or you can take it as a word of caution from a fellow member honestly posting his personal experience. HA-HA........

Last edited:
Back