How can I make the 12volt power always on?

:
2009 Mazda5 Auto
I find the switched power source annoying at times. Anybody know an easy/simple way to make it always hot?

Not easy.

The outlets are fed from a contact in the ignition switch. Other circuits are also
getting 12volts from the same ignition switch contact. Meaning these other circuits
need to be 'off' when ignition is off.

safest way would be to run your own line from the battery to your own 12-v outlet.

Buy one of those external power sources (12V) from walmart or any auto parts and wire it yourself to a 12V in your fuse box. then you can run the wires where you want and have exactly what you need without messing with the factory outlets.

Would have been nice if there was an easier way to do this...my wife just asked me the same question about her new Mazda5. With her last car (Chrysler Town & Country) I just unplugged a relay and plugged in a bypass (available at the dealer for around $5 IIRC)

Would have been nice if there was an easier way to do this...my wife just asked me the same question about her new Mazda5. With her last car (Chrysler Town & Country) I just unplugged a relay and plugged in a bypass (available at the dealer for around $5 IIRC)

What are you powering that needs constant power? If it is only a small load, you can install a small 12V battery and connect the battery with a diode to the Aux. power outlet. This way whenever the car is running the battery get charged and when the car is off the battery keeps powering the thing that you want to be on all the time and the diode prevents the small battery from powering other items in the same circuit.

I would expect there is a constant 12v source at the radio/head unit. You could reroute your cig lighter to that. I would have to double check schematics and wire sizes to insure a margin of safety.

I would expect there is a constant 12v source at the radio/head unit. You could reroute your cig lighter to that. I would have to double check schematics and wire sizes to insure a margin of safety.

I'd think so as well. Perhaps the clock.

My wife had an old Subaru that had an accessory plug that was off when the ignition was off. I opened up the console to "hot wire" it. When I did I discovered a second wire in there that was always hot. It already had a factory connector on it! As simple as switching the wires. I doubt Mazda has the same, but take a look.

To be safe, you need to isolate the outlet.

Put a diode in series with the 12volts going to the outlet. Then feed your constant 12volts to the 'load side' of the diode. This way, 12volts cannot 'go back' to whatever ciruits needed to be off.. when engine is off.

-- come to think of it, there is a fuse for the outlets in FO2 (second fuse box).. you can rig a 'fuse + diode' box, and then feed your constant 12volts.. at that location.

To be safe, you need to isolate the outlet.

Put a diode in series with the 12volts going to the outlet. Then feed your constant 12volts to the 'load side' of the diode. This way, 12volts cannot 'go back' to whatever ciruits needed to be off.. when engine is off.

-- come to think of it, there is a fuse for the outlets in FO2 (second fuse box).. you can rig a 'fuse + diode' box, and then feed your constant 12volts.. at that location.

Oh snap. I'd not seen this thread for some reason dang it, that is what I was going to say, make sure you keep it isolated, you don't want that 12volts going backwards...(drinks)

Here in Japan they make a kit for just such a thing, they even give you the socket and all the wires, etc. Made so you can drill the hole in the back cargo area wall and have an extra 'outlet' back there too if that is what you want to do. Then again the kit is to wire it into a switched source, don't want some kid in the third row getting shocked and piss his pants! LOL! (shocked)

Peace!(rei)

Back