Just installed new all-weather rubber mats & cargo mat

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
The UPS man showed up today with 2 big boxes of OEM parts from MazdaPartsOnline.net.

I got all-weather rubber floor mats, a cargo liner, roof rack rails, and some other minor parts.

The rubber floor mats looks great. They fit well and best of all: they don't have that horrible rubbery smell that a lot of other floor mats do. I noticed that the packaging they came in has perforations. Nice move!

yhst-19784709959083_2051_4737873
yhst-19784709959083_2051_4864376

The mats in the front connect to two hooks on each side and sit in the floor very securely. The 2nd and 3rd row mats are a little harder to install because they have rubber tabs and edges that need to be tucked under the metal runners that the seats slide on top of. It's a tight fit, but once you get them in there, they're held in place securely. On the downside, this makes it inconvenient to take them out for cleaning. I think they look A LOT better than the carpeted floor mats which tend to show much more dirt. Curiously, there's a 2-inch gap between the seats in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Why? Why not include a skinny strip of rubber with some velcro?

The cargo mat was a bit of a disappointment. It was curled up in the box that the roof rack came in, so it doesn't want to lie flat. I'm sure it will flatten out in a couple of days... If not, I'll use some industrial strength Velcro on the underside. Actually, I'm surprised it didn't come with some velcro. You figure for $78, they could throw in a few pieces. The biggest disappointment is that this OEM part doesn't fit the available space! There's a big gap on the left-hand side, about 4 or 5 inches. I was hoping for something that would completely cover the floor of the cargo area. It also came with some medium-sized plastic brackets that are supposed to stabilize grocery bags. I dunno. They seem dubious to me and I don't think I'll use 'em. Plus, they only came with instructions in Spanish.

yhst-19784709959083_2054_623923

The roof cross bars will get installed tomorrow. I ran out of light tonight.

I also got an "official" Mazda plastic cover for the towing coupler. It fits very loosely so I'm going to wrap some electrical tape around it to make it a snug fit. When I went to the Brown Bear car wash yesterday evening, the cover got pulled off by the rear brush. I had to drive back to the car wash and ask the kid running the place to hunt around for my new cover! He found it quickly then showed me a bin filled with at least a dozen similar covers from other cars! (freak)

yhst-19784709959083_2051_930763

Last edited:
I did a fast comparison of 3 to 4 items between mazdapartsonline.com and mazdaparts.org, and found the latter to have lower prices (in 3 out of 4 cases), and with $100+ free shipping instead of $150+ free shipping for the former. Just FYI. I usually buy stuff from mazdaparts.org (they are a Mazda dealer).

I did a fast comparison of 3 to 4 items between mazdapartsonline.net and mazdaparts.org, and found the latter to have lower prices (in 3 out of 4 cases), and with $100+ free shipping instead of $150+ free shipping for the former. Just FYI. I usually buy stuff from mazdaparts.org (they are a Mazda dealer).

Yeah, you're right. Altought in my case, the difference was only a couple of dollars. (Curiously, they charge $9 for the hitch cover compared to $5 for MazdaPartsOnline). I spent $300+ dollars, so I got free shipping anyway, but if you're spending less than $150, then MazdaParts.org is probably the way to go.

But, I was happy with MazdaPartsOnline.net. They shipped right away, they got the order right, and I'm a satisfied customer.

The cargo mat only covers the area behind the 3rd row?

Yep, in the picture above, it's covering the small area that the pair of boots is on. Nuttin' more than that. It'll be perfect for our dog, but unless you're regularly tranporting something wet or at risk of spilling, you probably don't need to fork over nearly $80 for the privilege.

I think weathertech has a 2 piece that snaps together and covers either the cargo area or the entire area w/ the 3rd row folded.

I hate the material Mazda used for the cargo area and the back of the 3rd row. It seems to latch on to everything (dirt, sand, lint etc) and makes vacuuming very difficult.

The big gap on the left of your cargo mat is for CX9s with the power liftgate, which fills that cove on the left side.

The Receiver Cover does not fit tight. Ours just slips in with little friction, but has never come out. We also only use touchless car washes, though, becasue of the rack. I'd just take it out before using a brush type car wash, rather than tape it. You don't want a gooey mess inside your receiver.

For grocery retention, we got a Case Logic Organizer at Target. It's similar to one Thule makes, but at a fraction of the cost. (what a shock). first time we used it we said to each other "why didn't we get one a long time ago?"

http://www.caselogic.com/automotive_large_trunk_organizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=70083

Attachments

• Case Logic Organizer.jpg
    Case Logic Organizer.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 289
^^That looks like a great product. Thanks!

Was that in the Auto section at Target?

Last edited:
FYI, Thule's versions are $60-$75 and don't even fold as flat.

TJ Maxx has been unloading a ton of the Thule car accessories at a fraction of the cost. The various sizes (1,2 & 3) and lots of car accessories at the ones here around Boston

They make nice stuff, just too pricey. Anytime you find a good price for a Thule item you want, get it.

I got my Stacker Kayak rack (which converts to wheel forks, I found) at REI as an open box return for a fraction of the retail price.

I got my Peloton trays for almost half at Backcountry.com when they had a special deal. ($150 for two, shipped, vs. $130 retail before tax, each)

Back