hid fogs issue - takes 2 tries to turn them on - anyone help?

Richie Bricks

:
Black Mica Mazda 3 5 Door Touring
so weird issue with my hid fogs i installed 2 weeks ago..

it takes me two tries until the fogs come on.
i turn the switch once - nothing happens.
i turn the switch off then back on a 2nd time and then it starts up normally.
any idea what's up?

and will this create a problem in the long run?

thanks for the help guys!

(It started after the night I left chuck e cheese and turned them on, drove for about 10 min, turned them off when i got to my house, then left the house 2 min later and turned them back on, which is the first time i had to do 2 tries until they turned on and they have been like that since, could that have started it?)

more info will be needed. not to be a dick but you installed them, you could have installed something wrong. or there could be a fault with the module. its very hard to diagnose someones electrical work and issues with out actaully seeing and testing the system

more info will be needed. not to be a dick but you installed them, you could have installed something wrong. or there could be a fault with the module. its very hard to diagnose someones electrical work and issues with out actaully seeing and testing the system

recommendations to fix it?

if u still have the warranty on the HID kit, get ballasts replaced, this seems to be the cause, the fail to fire the bulbs, thats the only reason i can come up with

if u still have the warranty on the HID kit, get ballasts replaced, this seems to be the cause, the fail to fire the bulbs, thats the only reason i can come up with

the bulbs do some on, the 2nd time, and they run normally.
do you think its my mazda relay or my hid battery relay? I have the hid battery relay installed also.

So Ritchie, I guess the HIDs are not doing so good from DDMtuning or is it just the fog lights? How are the low power lights?

So Ritchie, I guess the HIDs are not doing so good from DDMtuning or is it just the fog lights? How are the low power lights?

just the fogs.
the lows arent installed yet, installing them tomorrow actually. will make sure not to turn off and on the lows and have this problem like the fogs.

i dont think its ddm that is the problem, i think i messed up by turning them on for 15 min, turning them off for 2, then turning them back on. not a good idea right? i know. i learned.

im assuming i blew something in the relay the 2nd time i turned it on. perhaps the relay got surged

So HIDs need a resting period before using them again? I had no idea. Is there something to buy to prevent this?

though the igniter is sometimes in the ballast, saying its the ballast itself is most likely inaccurate. I would point the finger at the igniter being bad. hopefully just miswired?

though the igniter is sometimes in the ballast, saying its the ballast itself is most likely inaccurate. I would point the finger at the igniter being bad. hopefully just miswired?

turns out i have to wait a few MORE seconds after i turn on my headlights (because i cant turn on my fogs w/o the lows being on), about 30 sec, then turn on the fogs and it works 1st try.

now that i have my lows in, and those use less wattage, my fogs turn on first try now just fine. but i still wait 30 sec or more afterwards.

so according to my friend, it didn't have enough time to build up power since the OLD halogen used more wattage when fired up.

hope that helps everyone else!

also, THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME OUT AND PUT FORTH THEIR INPUT!

Last edited:
halogen bulbs really only use a larger amount of power for a microsecond, and the voltage regulator in the alternator usually compensates for this almost instantly. long as your problem is resolved great, but... your fix seems.... strange.

I will assume you have higher than 35w fog lights. If that is so, there is your problem. The battery and wiring is not strong enough to get anything higher lit first time all the time. You may have noticed the website trying to sell you a wiring harness upgrade for your bulbs. This is to help alleviate your problem of not firing first time out. Your friend is correct that you are not getting enough power to them. If you have higher than 35w going into your regular lights, you will more than likely run into the same problem.

Back