NEW Rear Cargo Light?

Mntnbkr

:
2006 Mazda5 Auto Sport w/the works
The existing cargo light is just too low and does not light up the area very well - especially when cargo is blocking it.

I would like to add an over-the-tailgate flush mounted cargo light that is wired to the existing switched one on the starboard side, so when that light is activated or switched on, the other added one goes on as well.

Has anyone done this, or, can anyone recommend a good place to buy an appropriate light for the overhead position? I could always consider buying another Mazda switched light from the dealer - I just don't know it is will fit (depth?) and am hoping there's another option available.

Thanks.

Are you refering to adding a dome light to the headliner?

Yes - right over the tailgate opening - it could technically be in the plastic trim around the rear hatch opening right next to the headliner - to suplement the one on the lower right corner of the opening. Higher and unobstructed = better.

I've seen some that lights that plug into 12 volt sockets though you probably have something more permanant in mind. Easy enough to tap into the harness.

I've seen some that lights that plug into 12 volt sockets though you probably have something more permanant in mind. Easy enough to tap into the harness.

Any specific 12v light brands or stores that come to mind? I've looked in the auto stores for something decent and all I can seem to find is CHEESY bling cheap lights.

you're not going to find anything nice at the parts store if you are going for something a stock look

Just a thought, but couldn't you get the same dome light that's already in the front of the vehicle, and install that one in the headliner in the back? I would assume you can order it through Mazda, and it would it would certainly match. I agree that the rear illumination is suspect at best, and will probably look into something like this in the future, myself.

Latest posts

Back