3) replace sparkplugs.

4) reinstall in reverse order.

cliff notes:

1) remove plastic engine cover.

2) remove intercooler.

3) replace sparkplugs.

4) reinstall in reverse order.

Yeah exactly that easy.

1) remove plastic engine cover. 2 - 10mm screws, there is a "hook" on the cover that goes over part of the intercooler in the back. Remove screws push it back, lift up.

2) remove intercooler. - 3 - 12mm (..I think but could be 10mm still) nuts hold the intercooler down. 2 worm gear hose clamps on the hoses, take the recirculation hose clamp off the BPV and also the vacuum line. Pull off the intercooler.

3) replace sparkplugs. - Remove the coils by unbolting their 8mm bolts. 5/8" Spark plug socket. The only tricky one is the coil all they way on the the passenger side, you might have to push the wire loom that goes over it to the side to remove the coil. You get some needle nose plies and pinch the plastic clamp and it should come right off.

4) reinstall in reverse order. - Make sure all the coils are plugged in all the way, secured down. Put the wire loom back in its spot. Put the intercooler carefully back in its place. Make sure the rubber mounts didnt pop out of the intercooler mounting points when you put it back. Make sure the vacuum line for the bpv is out of the way of the intercooler when you put it on. Make sure the hot and cold pipe tubes are fully on and tighten their clamps. Put the BPV recirc tube on and make sure the clamp is in the same spot (in the indentations). Put the vacuum line back on the BPV. Put the cover on, making sure its hooked in the back.

Thank You! Just wanted to be sure it was no big deal!

Your lucky, when I asked this Q i got flamed hard.

the intercooler pull is easy, no worrys

and you can do the coil spring stretch while you have them off

Your lucky, when I asked this Q i got flamed hard.

the intercooler pull is easy, no worrys

and you can do the coil spring stretch while you have them off

Uh, the cover, two bolts at the front them slides to the rear a bit and lifts off

Hi All
I am a new MS3 owner and have done a few mechanical things in cars before, changing fuel filter/pump, 02 sensors, shock absorbers etc.
My next project is to change the spark plugs on my MS3. It is not running well at between 1,000 and 4,000 RPM, and with 60,000 miles on the clock, installing new plugs will hopefully resolve the issue.
Anyway, I have changed plugs before, no problem, but I've never had a car with an intercooler mounted over the engine!
Great, so I read this thread, made notes and headed down to my car. I have so far removed the intercooler/engine cover, no problem there. I am unsure what to do next. I know I have to lift off the intercooler, but I am worried. It is essentially a radiator, and I am envisaging those 2 big hoses leaking out fluid if I put stress on them and bend up the intercooler. Do I need to drain the system? How much bending stress can I put on those hoses?

I am planning on putting in Denso ITV20 plugs in and reducing the stock gap in them a little. I have the plugs in hand, I just don't want to crack the bog hoses or risk causing leaks in the intercooler system!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lawrence

Those 2 big hoses have no fluid in them, they are for carrying air from the turbo to the engine. You can bend the crap out of them without issue as they are flexible rubber. Just losen the clamps and pull the intercooler out of the tubes.

Intercooler holds air not fluid (hopefully), so nothing to drain. One caution: It is a good idead to take a clean, lint free shop towel or rag and stuff it into those open tubes until you are ready to put the IC back on. Drop anything down those tubes and you are in for big trouble if it gets sucked into the intake. It should always be SOP to plug any intake hose, pipe, tube, manifold, etc. when working on an engine.

Intercooler holds air not fluid (hopefully), so nothing to drain. One caution: It is a good idead to take a clean, lint free shop towel or rag and stuff it into those open tubes until you are ready to put the IC back on. Drop anything down those tubes and you are in for big trouble if it gets sucked into the intake. It should always be SOP to plug any intake hose, pipe, tube, manifold, etc. when working on an engine.

My how times change,............ now, im hopeful my IC does have fluid in it. since I have not yet added a coolant overflow tank to the system and have occasional ....... leakage

Back