Paint problems?

The-9

I have seen a few members with paint issues especially on the rear tailgate area. Does anyone know if the manufacturer is aware of this and if it affected certain build dates?

Almost seems like the maker of the tailgate part made it chrome and either Mazda felt it was too much and painted it or the maker of the part went oops... no chrome wanted so lets paint it.

Last edited:
They only wanted the lower edge chrome. There are two ways to do that.

1. Make it two pieces; the upper painted piece, and the lower chrome piece. More $$

2. Chrome it, then wrap the upper part in a color matched skin. Less $$

It's also possible they originally intended it to be all chrome, and realized it was too reflective and THEN decided to wrap it, rather than remake all those parts.

Mazda should replace it no problem, or, you could just peel it all the way off and have it all chrome.

wonder what it would look like all chrome.

In any event why it is like that shows the manufacturer too the tine to paint it but not scuff and prime it. STUPID!!!!!!! just as bad as something Chrysler would pull

Chrome accent is like putting on lipstick.
Too much is worse than none.
Just MHO.

I agree. That's one reason I prefer the Sport.

The covering isn't paint, it's a plastic wrap because you can't paint chrome, even if you scuffed it.

I agree. That's one reason I prefer the Sport.

The covering isn't paint, it's a plastic wrap because you can't paint chrome, even if you scuffed it.

has it been verified it is not paint and some sort of colorform?

If you scuff chrome and use an epoxy primer you can paint it. You can paint anything with epoxy primer. Damn stuff is goood

You can paint anything if you put your mind to it, its merely a chemical/bonding process, and is certainly within a car manufacturers prowess.
The question is longevity, if the same on the 07 how is it holding up. Hopefully it goes (well) beyond the 60/60 timeframe.

After-sale accs are money makers too, as with dealer shop services. Perhaps after having accepted these parts from the supplier, corporate figured make it optional (and upscale the GT look). Simple enough for a product change order thereafter for the supplier to have it coated.

Sure its warranted, but we all know a lot of parts (as designed) are better suited for assembly the first time going in. What needs to be done to replace it, just because it goes in one way doesnt mean it comes out the same way unscathed (the beginnings of a rattler).
Poor design/manufacturing execution on Mazdas part, I think.

Paint will always come off of chrome. Mazda isn't going to go to that trouble when they can just wrap or dip the piece in plastic and it's done.

I can always spray some WD40 on it to help the paint stick. WD40 is the miracle cure all for anything.(smash) except squeaks (rofl2)

I checked mine the other day and it sure looked like it had orange peel but I will check again tonight and report back. To those wondering what I mean, orange peel is an artifact of painting and not wet sanding the base or clear coats. (totally normal in <100K cars) If there is orange peel it would be an almost absolute indicator the piece is painted and if there is no orange peel it will be an almost absolute indicator it is not painted but covered with something.

Paint will always come off of chrome.
A buddy of mine used to work on custom bikes, you-can-paint-chrome. Between mechanical sanding, chemical etching, primer - it's a chemistry problem, not rocket science.
Mazda isn't going to go to that trouble...
Obviously.

... they can just wrap or dip the piece in plastic and it's done.
For now. Then it shows up after 8K, too funny (in the other post on the same issue).

I checked this am and I am 99.999 percent sure it is paint. The edges and curves are too much for any type of covering or wrap IMHO.

If in fact it is a covering of some sorts. awesome technology as it looks exactly like paint (hint hint) but I feel it is paint.

I guess time will tell.

So, why paint over a piece of chrome??

I was at service today to do the power seat wiring safety recall and I asked the guy about it - the piece above the chrome piece peeling. I think he might be confused and thought I meant the chrome piece. Not sure. But he seem to know they will peel and Mazda will replace within the 3/36k.

I'm betting mine will peel just a month before 3 years .. by hook or by crook :)

So, why paint over a piece of chrome??

I was at service today to do the power seat wiring safety recall and I asked the guy about it - the piece above the chrome piece peeling. I think he might be confused and thought I meant the chrome piece. Not sure. But he seem to know they will peel and Mazda will replace within the 3/36k.

I'm betting mine will peel just a month before 3 years .. by hook or by crook :)

I wonder what year or years this affects and since Mazda supposedly knows about it, was it corrected in production?

ignore the tech who seems to think but did not understand what you said to him (rlaugh)

Checked with a Mazda parts dealer and they are not aware of any issues like the paint peeling on that piece. That is not to say it is not real but more like it is not a widespread (hopefully) issue and limited to a small production period.

He did advise the replacement part(s) do come pre-painted so without a doubt the vendor is painting them and not Mazda so I think Mazda would have stepped on the vendor HARD if they are aware of the issue and Mazda would have cleared that part from production until replacements were sent.

Back