Oil filter "cage"?

Mark787B

:
2016 6 - pending
I've just completed the first oil change on my 5 and I noted that the OEM filter does not have that sliding plastic cage within the element like the replacement filter has. Does anyone run a replacement filter (Mazda or another brand) without this cage in place?

Uhh how'd you even "complete" your oil change then? You have to reuse that cage..that's the housing to put it back into the car.

Last edited:
I don't mean the cage in the housing but rather the cage in the new filter element. It seems like the cage in the filter element is superfluous.

YOU MUST USE THE CAGE INSIDE THE FILTER ELEMENT. FAILURE TO DO SO MAY RESULT IN A COLLAPSED FILTER, UNFILTERED OIL CIRCULATING THROUGH THE ENGINE, OR A PIECE OF THE OIL FILTER ITSELF BECOMING LODGED AND BLOCKING OIL FLOW TO THE ENGINE.

It's a reusable cage, so at least the Mazda filters don't come with a new one. Don't know about most aftermarket brands, although the Purolators didn't come with a new one last time I bought them.

Many thanks though the Mazda-branded filters (made by Ford) I purchased online did have the sliding cage within the filter. I noted that when I slid the filter on to the cage that is within the filter housing the two appeared to lock in place.

I would like to have purchased an actual replacement OEM Mazda filter but haven't found a source...

Back