Prop Rod

The-9

As I said in another post, attention to detail by Mazda is amazing compared to American vehicles. I used the prop rod as an example with it's plastic end piece that makes it fit perfectly into the hole as well as preventing the metal end from scratching the underneath of the hood (like my Jeep)

One question that was brought up was what do I think about the prop rod and Mazda not using gas struts.

Looking at the hood of the CX9, it shows me gas struts would not work well in the severe angle the hood has and would not be able to open well or fully which basically circumvents the use of them. I would personally like to see hinges instead of the prop rod or struts (they wear out) but I guess the cost and engineering effort (due to the design of the hood) was not in the cards for the CX9.

I can deal with the prop rod :cool:

It's crap, but you can get aftermarket ones. I'm not sure if they're available for the CX-9, but I just threw a set in my 6 this past weekend and they're fantastic.

May not be related, but I wish the hood was made of aluminum instead of steel.
With lighter hood, hinges, or struts would work better and last longer.
Heavy hood is a waste of energy and serve no purpose in crash worthiness.

May not be related, but I wish the hood was made of aluminum instead of steel.
With lighter hood, hinges, or struts would work better and last longer.
Heavy hood is a waste of energy and serve no purpose in crash worthiness.

If they don't even trim that rear washer hole, you think they'll spend $$ on a alu hood?? Alu hood, roof, trunk lid, quarter panels are reserved for sporty cars where shaving 1/10 of a sec is a big deal, let alone 1 sec like "someone" proposed.

I wish they had equipped the 9 with struts for the hood. My jetta that cost half my 9 had them. Hood props are so 1970's and hinder good all around access to engine work. I have to watch my son when working under the hood so he doesn't knock the stick loose and smack my head.

Ford used to own more than 30% of Mazda. Legally, Ford can claim Mazda's sales number as part of Ford. However, recently Ford sold lots of shares of Mazda. I think it owns around 20% now. By US definition, Mazda is not part of Ford now. The threshold in Europe is much lower (something like 10% ownership compared to 30% in US).

So, Ford owns Mazda stocks. Ford does not own Mazda. That is a more accurate statement.
If I buy some Mazda ADR shares in US, it does not mean I own Mazda. I need to own 30% or more to claim that.

Regarding attention to detail...I am traveling this week for work in a rented newest-generation Chrysler Town & Country minivan. It, like my CX-9, has a power rear hatch. On the CX-9, the button to close the hatch is right where you would grab to close the hatch. On the T&C, it's in the path of the door travel, meaning you have to push the button then dodge the closing hatch.

I could go on and on.... There's a LOT of stuff Mazda got right with the '9

Having worked at the WHQ in Dearborn, I can assure you, Ford and Mazda engineers do worked together. In fact, it was Ford who helped turn around Mazda. As much as folks at Dearborn hate Mark Fields, he was credited to turning around Mazda in 99. Let's just say, you won't have the Mazda of today if not because of Ford.

On the CX-9, the button to close the hatch is right where you would grab to close the hatch. On the T&C, it's in the path of the door travel, meaning you have to push the button then dodge the closing hatch.

Ok, let me put it another way. The whole reason I paid for the GT with nav is because that's the only way to get the powered hatch. My wife is of a smaller stature and it is very difficult for her to reach up and pull the hatch close. So, that's the main reason to get the power hatch. Fortunately, she's tall enough to just press the button (barely). I know you can argue that's what the remote is for. But imagine if you have children less than 5 ft tall. They are going to have a hard time to reach up to that button.

You do realize Mazda is part of Ford, right?

Yes but Ford did not design it, assemble it or QC control it. Not saying Ford isn't good but I wouldn't give Ford credit for the CX series at all. One thing Mazda needed was an infuse of money and managed direction to help it's level of technology in the automotive arena. Ford gave, Mazda used it VERY wisely and we now have a great Japanese company delivering great products.

I happen to think the Ford Ranger is a good little truck. I own a '94 that has over 150,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Granted it's a gutless wonder, but it gets the job done.

Yes but Ford did not design it, assemble it or QC control it. Not saying Ford isn't good but I wouldn't give Ford credit for the CX series at all.

Poor Ford. I guess they shouldn't get credit for Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover either. All of these were at the bottom of the pit in terms of quality and styling. Well, not that they jumped to #1, but one can see the remarkable changes with Volvo styling, and improvements in Jag and LR.

I happen to think the Ford Ranger is a good little truck. I own a '94 that has over 150,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Granted it's a gutless wonder, but it gets the job done.

You're lucky to have that experience. However, the Mazda B series have always been bulletproof. I had an '83, and '88, and 2 '92s. All not just totally reliable, but sturdier than anything out there. Best built truck, period. Where everyone else used channel frames, or half and half, only Mazda used full box frames. The fit and finish even on my 83 was superior to any other truck, big or small, including Toyota. I had my 88 T boned by a minivan, crushing the cab in a foot. It wasn't more, because the frame stopped it, and was perfectly straight. I also got rear ended by a drunk, destroying the back of the truck, but again, the frame was not bent at all. Because of the hyper stiffness, Mazda was also able to make their trucks do something others couldn't; handle. A B like my 92 now will out handle most cars from that time, and a lot from today. Driving one is more car like than even other small trucks.
Mine is only a 4 cylinder, but has the guts of a equivalent year V6.

The biggest problem was Ford's influence back then. They didn't want the B's to compete with the Ranger, so they held Mazda to the 4, and kept the options to a minimum. My truck is setup for 6, as well as options like power windows and locks, cruise, etc, but they were never available here because of Ford.
Just like when the Explorer/Navajo came out, they only let the Navajo be sold as a 2 door, killing it's sales in favor of the Explorer.

Yes, Ford helped Mazda get a leg up, but then they pulled the other leg out from under them

For those of you thinking "if they are so great, why did you have 4?" I will explain:
My 83 didn't have A/C, and I moved to Phoenix. So I traded it at 110,000 miles for an 88 Cab Plus. I put 166,000 miles on it in 4 years, hard driving. It got T Boned when a minivan ran a stop sign. Insurance total because of the cab damage.
Got my insurance money and bought a 92 B2600i. Very nice truck and pretty fast for a 4. Unfortunately that one got repossessed after 2 years. Not my finest hour. 80,000 miles.
Later I wanted a truck again, so I looked for a used one, since new Mazdas didn't exist by that time. Mazda trucks are almost impossible to buy used, because owners hold onto them more than any other brand. I finally found a '92 B2600i like I'd had before. It was not in the best shape from owner abuse and lack of maintenance, but I new it would still be reliable. This truck was in such bad shape that, were it any other brand, no one would have bought it. Even with the condition it was in, after some basic maintenance and clean up, it's been a totally reliable, if not perfect, truck.I used it or years in construction and she's never let me down. Even with a leaky injector, bad gaskets, a stretched timing chain, and worn rings, at 160,000 miles she's still going strong.It will still smoke a Ranger 4. You just can't break these Mazda trucks.

THIS is why I hope Mazda will again sell their own trucks here, now that Ford has backed off.

Latest posts

Back