Adding Acetone to your fuel

The-9

Don't DO IT!

Acetone was a trick that old time hot rodders (yeah me too when I was a kid) used to use to gain some octane points. Especially when (and well before) Leaded Fuel went away and we were stuck with unleaded which the octane levels were junk.

Problem is, the acetone is corrosive to rubber and gasket material which meant rebuilding of the carb as we as replacing the fuel pump (mechanical) because the diaphragm would rot out. Goodness knows what major damage would happen on todays vehicles. sensors, gaskets, fuel pump, catalytic converters etc etc.

LOL. I didn't do it. A friend forwarded an article and links about the use of a small amount of acetone (2-3oz per 10 gallon) to boost MPGs. Thought it was interesting considering it's very diluted.

Don't tell me you fubar'd your car by doing this... btw you forgot injectors. lol

now way but back in 83 when I was tooling around in my 71 Challenger 340, I could not afford cam2 all the time so I would periodically follow the suggestion of a fellow drag racer (old school) and use the stuff. It worked for octane increasing but eventually ate my carb innards. so... lesson learned.

Don't use it..

P.S. thanks for the injectors, forgot about them..

Back