First oil change - when?

clandestine

:
2009 CX-9 GT AWD w/GT Assist and Moonroof/Bose in black cherry
The service dept. told me at 3,750 miles.

Mazda USA called me to say thanks, how are things, don't forget to change your oil at 3k.

Couldn't find it in the manual, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Called the service dept and another guy told me 5k.

I'm at around 3,400, so I'm thinking about taking the first guy's advice and doing it in a few weeks. not sure if it's a big deal either way, but I'm looking forward to changing it out to improve my mileage, which is around 14 - 15 mpg for mixed driving so far.

thoughts? any word more 'official' than the 3 Mazda employees with 3 different answers?

I always have changed the oil at 1k then every 3k after that no matter what kind of driving I do.

I did my first one at 2000 and 5000 there after.

Don't look for any magic improvement in gas mileage, regardless of what some on this forum say they get.

I think they are always going down hill to get what they claim.

Just face it, the "9" is some what of a gas hog.

If you do only highway driving at 65 mph with cruse control you might get 20 mpg if there is no wind.

Just my .02c

Manual says every 6 months or 7500 miles for Schedule 1; 4 months or 5000 miles for Schedule 2.

I change mine every 6 months since I only put about 10,000 miles a year on my CX-9.

I did my first one at 2000 and 5000 there after.

Don't look for any magic improvement in gas mileage, regardless of what some on this forum say they get.

I think they are always going down hill to get what they claim.

If you do only highway driving at 65 mph with cruse control you might get 20 mpg if there is no wind.

Just my .02c

Don't really appreciate being called a liar. I easily get 22 on mixed driving trips. If I drove perfect on the highway I could get 25. Our worst mileage has been 17.
If you drive a newer AWD GT your mileage will be less, but don't generalize different owner's statements.

I change my oil every 5k. Easy to remember and frequent enough. My oil comes out pretty clean.

MPG is a function of so many factors.
CX9 is not the king of MPG. However, it is not as bad as you protraited it to be. I frequently go to Sacramento from San Jose (120miles one-way). I travelled at 75 +/- 5mph. I consistently get 22mpg with GT AWD. Wind was there, some hilly area also.
In city driving where there are lots of stops and lights, the MPG is about
- 11 for first mile
- 13 for first 2 miles
- 14 for fisrt 4 miles
- 15 for even longer distance
This is very typical result for vehicle that is more than 4500lb.

So, depending on how and where you drive, your MPG will vary.
I have ScanGaugeII on board and well-tuned for 1 year. That's how I gathered those data.

MPGs of FWD models can easily be better than AWD by 2mpg in city driving and 1mpg on highways
due to 200lb weight reduction and less moving parts.

To Sport owner,

May I quote you. "I easily get 22 on mixed driving trips".

Also you have NEVER got below 17 mpg?

BTW. The CEO of Mazda will be at my home next week for dinner, I will ask him if he wants to bring your car into Mazda for testing as it must be the best one ever built.

Mixed driving means both city and highway. With all due respect, I Call BULL s***.

I can see 22mpg on a highway only trip with FWD and cruse control, but no way combined.

Either your tires are filled to 50psi with helium or you head is.

I stand by my comments. The "9" is some what of a gas hog

I get 8.5MPG in my SRT10 (I love it) and so far for the CX9GT AWD, I have been getting 14-15mpg city driving where with my Jeep 4.7L V8 I was getting 12 city and 15 highway. I am sure I should get 19-21mpg on highway and will let you know when I make a long run.

I was trying to be nice, but now you're just being a prick, o.c.cx9

Nothing I've said is false, or even exaggerated. If you read the forums you will see I'm not the only one with these mpg numbers.

I was trying to be nice, but now you're just being a prick, o.c.cx9

Nothing I've said is false, or even exaggerated. If you read the forums you will see I'm not the only one with these mpg numbers.

Congratulations. You get 22 mpg and I get 14 mpg. Different cars and different drivers, but I will still bring it up to Jim O'Sullivan next week.

I am done. I have read some of your 1296 posts. That's why we have a delete key. Enjoy your summer.

I don't know how people get less than 18MPG on mostly highway driving. I live in the Wash DC area. With stop and go traffic on the beltway, I am getting about 20MPG. Our CX-9 was purchased new back in March. Since then, we've racked up 6,100 miles and 2 oil changes with 5w-30 synthentic oils and a K&N drop in air filter. Also, tire pressure is set at 36psi all the way around.

Congratulations. You get 22 mpg and I get 14 mpg. Different cars and different drivers, but I will still bring it up to Jim O'Sullivan next week.

I am done. I have read some of your 1296 posts. That's why we have a delete key. Enjoy your summer.

Where's this DELETE key?? I would really appreciate it. That or maybe an IGNORE user option.

I did a science project with my daughter on "PSI vs MPG" with my CX9 equipped with ScanGaugeII (acts as a trip computer that 2009 has, but mine doesn't)
Here is the result.
(horizontal: MPH, vertical: PSI)

.........35 ....40 ...45 ...50
--------------------------
40 | 27.3 26.4 25.4 24.7
35 | 26.7 26.4 24.8 24.7
30 | 26.4 24.8 24.5 24.7
25 | 25.6 24.4 23.7 23.5
20 | 24.3 22.8 22.8 21.4
-------------------------
This was done on the same day on a stretch of 1.6 mile local road w/o stop sign or light. The data was collected based on the average of four runs (two runs of back and forth) to eliminate wind factor. Cruise control was used.

It was amazing to see that our CX9 can achieve 27.3 at 35mph running with 40 PSI in tires.

Another tip I can share is that try to avoid going at 40 mph on local roads with speed limits of 40mph. Try 42mph.
Why? The tranny shifts to 6th gear at around 42mph with light throttle. Unfortunately, there are
lots of road with speed limits of 40mph. Go figure.

Last edited:
Back