cel question

kewe02

today we had the dead throttle problem come up....the engine was running but the throttle would not respond to input, and the wrench cel came on....we put the car in park and shut off the engine and re started all was back to normal, no cel.....is the cel error that came on with the dead throttle saved in the computer memory? so when I go to the dealer they will see it??

thks ken

I am not sure... But once the CEL light goes off, I think the code is cleared from the system. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The CEL light is an indicator that only comes on when sensors are continuously reporting data that is out of range. Once data is back in range, CEL is off and code is no longer stored.

wrong
There are 3 code levels so to speak

first is PENDING, where a fault is seen once and the PCM has "made a note of it"
when the fault is seen durring 2 consecutive trips (once for type A codes such as misfire codes that could lead to damage of the cat.), the MIL is commanded on and code is stored as a mature DTC
If the fault is not seen for 3 consecutive trips the MIL is commanded off and is then called a code in HISTORY
it takes 37 more consecutive trips without the fault being seen for the PCM to erase the code from memory

now lets find out which light was actually on from the thread starter

the light every one refers to as the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL, CEL, etc) is reserved, under federal law, for faults that could increase emissions

the light that automakers are using now for the things that do not fall under this catagory are expressed with the ISO symbol of a wrench

Last edited:
thks for the responses frds the cel that came on is the yellow wrench light, which remained on while we had no throttle input response, after our engine restart all cel's were off and driving resumed as normal

thks
ken

Are you gonna take it to the dealer?

I've had the throttle problem as well but no CEL. Someone else had the throttle issue and the dealer replaced the throttle body. I haven't gone to the dealer about it yet.

If you take it in, let us know what happens.

we have had a stalling issue (engine stops) since beginning of may and now this... it was in the shop in may and is going back on monday morning....hopefuully the stall and the dead throttle are realated...i hope the mazda tech line can help them...from what i have read it sounds like a throttle body/actuator issue......will post when we get her back.....

Man, Hope these issues get resolved. I haven't had major throttle issues myself. The only thing I notice is if I have to mash on the throttle to accelerate, there is a slight pause before the engine responds and sling shots me forward.

So anyone experienced complete throttle response loss when going around a corner fast? I think I might have been taking a corner too fast for the car and the throttle went dead. It kind of reminded me of hitting the rev limiter. Once I was out of the turn I was able to accelerate fine. Is this part of the anti-roll feature?

So anyone experienced complete throttle response loss when going around a corner fast? I think I might have been taking a corner too fast for the car and the throttle went dead. It kind of reminded me of hitting the rev limiter. Once I was out of the turn I was able to accelerate fine. Is this part of the anti-roll feature?
Could it be the VSC/TCS intervening?

The only thing I notice is if I have to mash on the throttle to accelerate, there is a slight pause before the engine responds and sling shots me forward.

K&N would help in this case. The delay is the autotranny trying to anticipate what your intention is. There is grade logic in the transmission control. It learns how you drive. Of you went out of norm, it would be surprised and slow to respond.

The only thing I notice is if I have to mash on the throttle to accelerate, there is a slight pause before the engine responds and sling shots me forward.

I experience this a lot. It downshifts and that's the pause and then it's like bam, you're gone. I've almost ran into the back of a few cars trying to get around them. I mash the throttle, start turning to get in another lane and wait half a second and I'm off. It takes a little getting used to, I've started to get better at anticipating it.

Yeah this sounds like stability control. You may have pushed your car to the limit and VSC saved your butt.

I experience this a lot. It downshifts and that's the pause and then it's like bam, you're gone. I've almost ran into the back of a few cars trying to get around them. I mash the throttle, start turning to get in another lane and wait half a second and I'm off. It takes a little getting used to, I've started to get better at anticipating it.

Same thing here....I've learned to anticipate the lag between flooring the gas petal and merging into oncoming traffic.

This is the first I've seen CX-9 owners mention this "lag" on the boards here.
Glad to hear that others have the same issue. Being my first Mazda, I wasn't sure if this was part of the Zoom Zoom experience....NOT!

More and more I've actually started to use the manual autostick in these situations. You'll find the car much more responsive and a continual accelleration until you decide to shift. Get's me 0 to 65 pretty quickly this way.

Give it a try..

most scanners will not tell you wether the DTC is pending, current, or history

and depending on the vehicle's baud rate, the freeze frame data will not be taken from the exact same time that the DTC was set

another problem is that you do not know on which trip the DTC was set, be it the first time it was seen and went pending or the trip it matured to a current DTC

lets get one thing straight, the light that the thread starter had seen was the ISO wrench symbol, this is not a "check engine light"

this is a "check vehicle light" which indicates a non emissions related fault
(do not call this a check engine light)

what every one calles a "check engine light" is actually a MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) which can be shown on a vehicles dash as the ISO engine symbol, the words "check engine" or service engine soon

the MIL is lit for emission related faults

the problem with people buying their own OBDII scantool is that 95 percent of thoes who buy them think it makes them a expert on cars and makes them feel like they know more that the Technician working on their car (notice i said Tech, not mechanic as to distinguish the 2)

take what your scantool tells you with a grain of salt
and read a good book

Last edited:
while it is a first step i can tell you that most dealers dont want to hear about a customers diagnosis on a problem unless you have that type of rep with a dealer or and independanti you take your car too, especially with a situation with a MIL lit or drivability problem. while OBDII is the same across the board, a factory scantool is a excellent tool to have in some situations with all of the diagnostic capabilitys (sp?) it has with its own brand or vehicles and i can tell you most shops wont go off of the DTC's you pull because that's money for them, not to mention DTC's are not the only info attainable with a scantool, you also have your freeze frame data and troubleshooting features

i not saying that s shop shouldnt listen to a customers concern and perform a through interview with the primary driver of the vehicle because that is the most important step in diagnosis but i cant tell you how many times the husband comes in with the wifes car with a concern she has and he hasnt experienced it but he thinks its this or that and gives his interpretation of her concern. hes absolutly no help and i tell him to either come back with the wife or have her call me to get the interview

I don't think anyone is going to argue that factory scanner is not better. Of course, it should be. Can I buy one? I doubt it. Mazda probably won't sell it to me at a price I can afford. However, my ScanGaugeII only costed me $150. I mainly use it for trip computer. Besides, I get to monitor a bunch of stats (coolant temp, intake temp, battery volt, etc.)
Why not? When a code is thrown, I get to see what it is and search google for what it means. With ScanGaugeII on the dash, I doubt any service advisor is going to treat me like a housewife who knows nothing about vehicles... I will let them do their job, and let them guess how much this guy knows.....before they even think about BS-ing me. For $150, it is worth every penny of it.

its always good to be well prepared before taking your car in for service
such as knowing what DTCs you have set so when the shop calls back at tells you you need xxxx done for xxxxx about of money and you question hows thats related to the code, thats when its best or of course if you diagnose it your self and fix it

i was simply stating my opinion of the customers iv delt with who have come to me telling me they need such and such done, which makes you wonder how they came to the conclusion that they needed that and then the pull out their handy dandy scantool and took a shot in the dark on diagnosing their vehicle

Kind of weird to quote my own posting, but to add to this I just experienced the computer kick in and brake for me going around the same corner too fast. This time it didn't just kill the throttle I could feel and hear the brakes being applied. Kind of cool.

Back