What brand wax?

The-9

I have always been a Meguiars fan but last year I switched to Mothers. Mothers has some of the best swirl removal products on the market (consumer) and nothing is like their pure carnuba wax and cleaner carnuba wax for touch ups.

Their brake dust cleaner is fantastic as well. My SRT10 22" rims get mighty dirty and fast and since I clean inside the rim and not just the outside, this is the only stuff that needs very very minimal agitation and it safe for clear coated and bare aluminum wheels.

What do you use to keep your vehicle shiny and protected?

Mark

CX9 espouses the benefits of some kind of rubbing compound and derides anyone who uses wax. I have always used Meguirs cleaner wax and I think it does a good job of getting rid of swirl marks. However, I guess if you do what he does you don't have to worry about a build-up of wax over the years that you'll end up having to use a clay bar to remove once it gets too built up. I do know that my Sentra is looking pretty ragged and all I've used on it has been the wax.... I've got some pretty nasty cloudy areas and swirls in my CX9 right now that the idiots at the dealership left when they buffed it before I took delivery. Don't know what to do about them other than trying the wax.... Good luck.

Not sure why you said that but finishes depend on how much you are willing to do. When I say I use Carnuba wax and cleaner fro touch up, I want to clarify something.

I do these steps
1. Pre-Wax Cleaner
2. Sealer glaze
3. Carnbuba wax

After a harsh winter I do clay bar my vehicles.

Nothing like seeing the color of the blue sky in black paint when it is polished to perfection.

CX9 espouses the benefits of some kind of rubbing compound and derides anyone who uses wax. I have always used Meguires cleaner wax and I think it does a good job of getting rid of swirl marks. However, I guess if you do what he does you don't have to worry about a build-up of wax over the years that you'll end up having to use a clay bar to remove once it gets too built up. I do know that my Sentra is looking pretty ragged and all I've used on it has been the wax.... I've got some pretty nasty cloudy areas and swirls in my CX9 right now that the idiots at the dealership left when they buffed it before I took delivery. Don't know what to do about them other than trying the wax.... Good luck.

Step back and look at waxes. Companies sell you the wax, THEN they sell you was removers to get rid of the build up. Nice scam. I don't suggest rubbing compound in place of wax. Rubbing compound doesn't protect. It shines. It's what body shops use to polish the clear coat after painting a car or repair. It's also what you need to get rid of that cloudiness and swirls.
For maintaining shine and keeping the paint cleaner between washes I prefer a polymer protectant. Instead of building up a layer of wax between nature and the paint, they make the paint slippery so less sticks to it in the first place. Waxes bead water, which has been beat into people's heads as the desired effect, but it's not. Beading allows the water to stay on the car and concentrate the minerals into spots when it dries. Polymers prevent the water from sticking, so it runs off, taking the minerals with them. It's not 100%, but it's a lot better then sticky wax, and no buildup. Those other wax based polishes have the same buildup issues as regular wax.

So my suggestion is to shine the car with rubbing compound and then apply a polymer to keep it shiny. You'll be able to rinse the car off between real washes to keep it looking good.

If I remember correctly, what quality bodyshops use to polish the clear coat is 3M Liquid Ebony. It is a liquid based glazer that has super super super fine polishing compounds in it. It is meant for use with a power buffer and not for hand use. I would never suggest anyone going to buy, rubbing compound.. Why, there are many levels from orange, which will take your paint off in a jiffy, to white which still needs the know how to apply, to a liquid based to be used with a buffer.

Hand polishing using a brand name polishing liquid is best because it is suited for the average consumer, will not hurt your paint and will make it look very nice when you are done. But again, there is work to be had as there is NOTHING as 1,2,3 to get a perfect shine.

I am going to start working on the 9 in 15 minutes and hopefully take some pics when I am done.

I use Griots Garage Best of Show carnauba wax, and have used it for years on all my vehicles. I apply/remove it with a Porter Cable high speed buffer.

I have used this process on my black CX-9 about 5 times--just did it 2 weekends ago. It looks fantastic, no swirl marks.

I can wax my CX-9 in about 1 hour--buffer makes it so much easier.

There are paste polymers that let you apply them like a wax or polish that give you re superior polymer protection WITH the deep shine. If you don't believe me, do one side with wax, and one side with polymer. Then see what accumulates on each side, rinse, repeat. See which side is less dirty and spotty before and after rinsing, and at the next wash.

She is done!(and so am I for the day LOL)

Came out spectacular but as usual, but lots of work!

One thing I notice when I got wax on the plastic accidentally, I rubbed it with my finger and the friction wore it off (the wax) kind alike your sunburned skin when it starts to peel and you rub it. Guess Mazda is using no porous plastic materials for the trim. Oh Thank you great auto maker int he sky (bowdown)

I once used a product from 3M called 3M hand glaze this product was great and it gave a beautiful shine, has anyone tried it...

I once used a product from 3M called 3M hand glaze this product was great and it gave a beautiful shine, has anyone tried it...

Glaze is not a protectant rather a polish and yes, 3m glaze is awesome but I use Mequiars No7 glaze, easier to obtain for me. (3M now owns Meguairs)

The-9:

So you'll use Mequiars No7 glaze to polish it, and then use a wax to protect.....

Here is what I do.

1. Wash it

2. Wax pre-cleaner (I use mothers since Meguairs no longer makes it)

3. clay bar

4. Glaze with No7

5. Mothers PURE carnuba wax (no cleaners in it)

I used this step

1. After i wash just use clay bar from meg.
2. Cleaner wax
4. Gold Class
5. Ultimate Quik Detailer

I used this step

1. After i wash just use clay bar from meg.
2. Cleaner wax
4. Gold Class
5. Ultimate Quik Detailer

What is #26...?[/QUOTE]

ProfessionalDetailer-Megs26-Eval00.JPG

ok I am done with all this gimick wax crap. No matter what I try (with a very open and hopeful mind) I always come back to PURE Carnuba as the best. You can layer it, it lasts longer then anything I have tried (including the latest NXT2.0 Meguiars) and prevents bird droppings and fly diarrhea from eating into the clear coat much longer then any silicone or acrylic voodoo I have used.

This is not to say something out there would blow my mind but damn it, nothing off the shelf that is a known consumer popular brand

Back