Painting Chrome Accents

Hellacool

Has anyone successfully painted the chrome accents in the CX-9? I am pretty sure mine are covered under the TSB but as I understand it that only covers the doors and all mine are having issues.

You mean the SILVER accents, correct? If so, you would have to completely strip the factory paint off, then prime them with a plastic binder primer, and then lacquer and clear coat them. Then polish them if you wanted them really glossy.

I t can be done, though. Stripping the old paint off is the key, because that is why they are scratching. The paint they used has a bonding agent in them to avoid having to prime the parts first, but that bonding agent is reacting to everything, and keeping the paint soft. They used the same technique on the painted part of the outside mirrors.

sporty,

this seems like an arduous process - was going to say difficult, but it sounds more time consuming than anything else...especially if one were to try to make it look like it came from the factory...polish ?!?! wouldn't even know where to start....

i'm starting to think (once i have a bit more time on my hands...which could mean never) to go to the dealership, show them the TSB, ensure they make the switch, get the old trim back, take them to someone who knows more than i do, and inquire about cost of "re-surfacing" them or whatever the process might take...

Ours are not covered by the TSB according to our local dealer since ours is an 07. It is doing the same thing that is posted on the TSB and I would imagine the same materials were used in 07 as 08. If I get time I will push the issue with Mazda.

TSB or not, if a part is defective, they are obligated to replace it. If the dealer won't, call Mazda directly and get them to replace it.

Painting those isn't as difficult or complicated as it sounds. I repaired and painted my from bumper in a few hours. Windex will remove the old paint, because of the defect.

Back