Creaks, moans, and vibrations

vikefan7

I know a lot of people have complained about the vibration from the driver side mirror, but does anyone else have any problems with little creaks and vibrations here and there. Specifically, the center console below the shifter? It creaks at times when I'm making turns or going through corners. I also hear a slight vibration that I think is coming from above the driver side window that is beginning to annoy the hell out of me. I'm dealing with the same things in my other car that's 7 years old, but wasn't expecting this on a car with 7200 miles on it. If I took it into the dealership would fixing these be covered under warranty?

I noticed the same issue my CX-9 and it only has 4K on it. The squeaks and creaks are coming for the base of the center console. Not sure if the dealer can do much about it as it's the plastics are that flexing. As a matter of fact, they can probably make it worse. Hate to say this, but this is common problem with a lot of new cars. Our 05' Acura TL, 07' Honda Odyssey Touring, 08' Chevy Tahoe, and the Speed 3 all have/had similiar issues. Hence, I really appreciate nice Bose sound system in the CX-9 :D

Last edited:
The silver and black trim around the shift gate actually floats within the surrounding panel, so it does creak from time to time. You could try spraying some silicone or lithium grease under the edges and then cleaning off the excess.

So it squeaks making turns AND going around corners? Weird

I have similar creaks. My center dash sometimes buzzes, my dash to the left of the steering wheel sometimes rattles over bumps, my B-pillars areas creak and pop when accelerating/decelerating, and my center console sometimes creaks too.

I wish this weren't the case, but it's a matter of engineering/assembly and rigidity. Not that I would change anything, but I hear that the new pilot is really rigid and free of creaking.

If you can live with the 5 speed trans and arguably uglier than most Crysler SUV offerings, the Pilot may be a better choice for you.

I used to buy nothing but Honda and Acura, but bought the CX-9 coz' of style, functionality and price. Can't beat $10k off MSRP.

I beg to differ. I had an Odyssey for 7 years. It made all sorts of noises and rattled.
Even the doors sounded like tin-can when closing.
I sat in my friends' Pilot many times. Not impressed by the rubbermaid interior.
I have torn apart Honda/Toyota/Mazda vehicles I have owned (love to mod!).
I actually think there is no differences among them in terms of assembly and materials used. Compared with my wife's Prius, my CX9 is so quiet on highway. Our Prius rattles and squeaks a lot.
The seats, center consoles, you name it.

That said, I found some noises in my CX9 were caused by the seat belts hitting against the pillars. This applies to the front passenger and the 2nd rows.

Yeah, mine's not the seatbelt issue you're describing. I don't know. I guess my feeling is that it being such a well-built car that these kinds of things shouldn't start popping up for at least 4 or 5 years. Even my Sentra took 5 years to start popping and creaking. And by well-built, I mean that the materials and seeming solidness of the interior compared to other cuv's that I test drove.

I had the squeaks from the center console as well and complained when I took mine in for scheduled maintenance. I was pleasantly surprised they actually fixed it, but several months later the squeaks are returning, which leads me to believe they probably were aware of the condition and simply used some sort of silicone lubricant.

Back