exterior/interior colors

biglou

Guys

I'm not crazy about the color choices for the 09 model year. I plan on buying soon and I am trying to decide on a color. I love the cherry black, but it does not come in a black interior. I have 3 kids and the sand interior will be hard to clean and not hide stains well. The silver is ok, but very common. I'm thinking of going with the black , but have heard black is a hard color to keep clean and shows imperfections more than any other color. I miss the discontinued gray. (no 08's left in my area) any comments? Blue and white don't do it for me.

I would avoid black paint like the plague. I had two black vehicles and they both showed dirt and every little scratch. Miserable....

Though eventually they all got heated up to the same temperature, however, the interior temperature of dark color vehicles go up faster under the baking of sun in summer. Just another practical consideration. I have a Blue Mica, which is kind of bad in this regard also. Blue Mica also shows dirts and scratches.

You could wait and get a 2010 with new color choices like the aqua.

Not aware of aqua being a color choice for 2010.

If you're referring to the publicity pictures of the 2010 CX9, that is the new Dolphin Grey (Gray) color that's being introduced, and the only new color being mentioned by Mazda for the CX9.
Now, that said, I do agree that the color appears to have some blue/green tint to it in the pictures provided by Mazda. Whether that's actually the case or it's just due to the lighting being employed I can't say. That color is pretty attractive in the publicity photos.

As for black vehicles, I've owned one in my life and would never do it again. They're truly stunning when they're clean and polished but keeping them clean is a significant effort and simply wasn't worth it to me.
However, to each their own.

Ted

Last edited:
The Dolphin Gray suggests it is a gray with an aqua undertone, just like Galaxy Gray was gray with a blue undertone. From the photos I think it's a nice color.

Even our Galaxy Gray shows dust and spots pretty bad.

The Pearl White is pretty nice.

color choices

Guys

My wife had a black pathfinder years ago and it was a b**** to keep clean. I thought they might have improved the paint by now. The silver is looking better and better. I already have a blue car and don't won't another. Unless I get the sand leather seats reupolstered to a darker color I going to have to settle for silver. I'm going back to the dealer this weekend for one final test drive and to select a color/ options. hopefully will purchase before the months out. The 2010 is out(i could barely afford a 09)

Nothing beats a CLEAN black vehicle and the cx9 looks less minivanish in this color! If you live in a warm climate though, black really soaks up the sun. I let my wife talk me out of white and regret it because our cx9 is always so hot to get in and out of on weekends.

My vehicle is black, and I live in Albuquerque where the sun is always quite intense. I had all of my windows tinted @ 20%, and use a sunshade in the front window. I never consider the vehicle to be too hot when I get in it after it's been sitting in the sun for hours when I'm leaving work.

Also, since it doesn't rain much here, I don't have much of an issue with keeping it clean. A California Car Duster and some detail spray can keep it looking great for months at a time.

Guys

I'm not crazy about the color choices for the 09 model year. I plan on buying soon and I am trying to decide on a color. I love the cherry black, but it does not come in a black interior. I have 3 kids and the sand interior will be hard to clean and not hide stains well. The silver is ok, but very common. I'm thinking of going with the black , but have heard black is a hard color to keep clean and shows imperfections more than any other color. I miss the discontinued gray. (no 08's left in my area) any comments? Blue and white don't do it for me.

Once you go black, you'll never go back!!

If you are into taking care of your vehicle, black is never an issue as you would do the same for the black as any color. If you do not take care of it or run it through the car wash once a month, get a grey color!

If you want to know about a color that shows everything, look at my SRT10 yellow fever. The yellow attracts freaking flies and they leave little black specs on the paint. I have never seen anything like this but people I know who have a yellow vehicle, they have the same problem.

I have to wipe her down daily with quick detailer.

You guys like black because you don't live here. 100+ summers, 3 months of monsoons (constant rain, dust storms), snow, sleet, etc. Once a month washing doesn't cut it here. You'd have to wash a black car every day to keep it up.

So be thankful you live somewhere less active.

I live in NJ with rain that will eat through anything it lands on, dirty scummy roads everywhere, salt up the gazoo in the winter time, so much so there is a constant white cloud you drive through on the parkway for days after the snow storm.

Black needs a good cleaning once a week and that is what I pretty much do and she stays NICE.. I still like a charcoal grey metallic as my favorite color but black on the CX9 was OUTSTANDING!

The GT looks really good in black. the 20" rims look awesome.

I am able to keep my black CX9 clean though. I park in a garage and there is a local touchless carwash where I get unlimited washes for $19.99/month. There have been times where I get the 9 washed on the way to AND from work (cabpatch)

Back