Breaks adjusting sound?

fraochdha

Hey all,

I've a 2008 GT now with 36k on the odo. And in the mornings when I first apply the breaks (i live on a hill) it sounds as if the breaks are going into "emergency - anti lock up mode" but ever so slightly. It happens once or twice, then everything is back to normal.

Does anyone know what's up with this, or has experienced the same thing?

thanks

P.

We haven't had that problem. Just the REALLY loud squeal that makes my wife embarrassed to drive the CX9.

Guys.
There is a TSB for it.
I got my dealer to replace the entire pad/rotor set.
The TSB states that there is a kit to reduce the noise.
Please go to
edmunds.com's CX9 forum. I started a TSB thread there for all to check and refer to.
You have 1 year/12K warranty on brake!
Even so, you may talk dealer or Mazda into sharing the cost.

Hey all,

I've a 2008 GT now with 36k on the odo. And in the mornings when I first apply the breaks (i live on a hill) it sounds as if the breaks are going into "emergency - anti lock up mode" but ever so slightly. It happens once or twice, then everything is back to normal.

Does anyone know what's up with this, or has experienced the same thing?

thanks

P.

I have a similar noise, when I first get going in the car. It's a 'snapping' or knocking noise in front that just occurs at the first stop at the end of the block, then it's fine. It's almost like the brakes are "seating," as if I just changed the pads.

Mine is a 2008 Touring, with 22,500 on the odometer. I found a TSB in the Edmunds forum regarding front brake SQUEAK, but not my knocking/clicking issue. Anyone have a link, just so my dealer can't tell me he "has no idea what I'm talking about"? Thanks all.. just curious what this noise actually is.

Last edited:
I have a similar noise, when I first get going in the car. It's a 'snapping' or knocking noise in front that just occurs at the first stop at the end of the block, then it's fine. It's almost like the brakes are "seating," as if I just changed the pads.

Mine is a 2008 Touring, with 22,500 on the odometer. I found a TSB in the Edmunds forum regarding front brake SQUEAK, but not my knocking/clicking issue. Anyone have a link, just so my dealer can't tell me he "has no idea what I'm talking about"? Thanks all.. just curious what this noise actually is.

I have the issue. It happens once and I also described it as if the brakes are "seating". The dealer also told me he has no idea what is wrong.

There are TSBs for front and rear brakes. Syntoms are different.
The noise of the front actually sounds more like "groaning" than squeaking.
It is more prominent when the brake pad is cold. Mazda TSB describes the fix as adding a new kit and apply some kind of grease. I had mine fixed. My dealer even gave me a new set of front brake pads for free. Seriously, my local Mazda service is the best.

I have the issue. It happens once and I also described it as if the brakes are "seating". The dealer also told me he has no idea what is wrong.

Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of. Mine is definitely NOT a squeak, more like a metallic click or snapping. And my snapping noise only happens at that first stop, after being parked (e.g. overnight), then it's fine. I don't notice it when I've backed out of a parking spot.

sentry west? did you buy from them?

There are TSBs for front and rear brakes. Syntoms are different.
The noise of the front actually sounds more like "groaning" than squeaking.
It is more prominent when the brake pad is cold. Mazda TSB describes the fix as adding a new kit and apply some kind of grease. I had mine fixed. My dealer even gave me a new set of front brake pads for free. Seriously, my local Mazda service is the best.

I had a clicking sound. When the car had sat for a bit, and I shifted into gear, it would click 1 to 3 times. (click click click)

It turned out the front driver side (left) hub splines needed a little extra lubrication. Problem solved.

Yeah, I had them look at and fix the same noise on mine, but it still makes this noise. When I called a few weeks later to reschedule an appointment, I was told now "there's a new TSB regarding that clicking... Mazda knows of the noise and says it's normal, just the brake pads shifting in the housing... do not attempt to fix."

Has anyone else been told this, or is that BS (my opinion)? I can't find any TSB saying that in the links posted elsewhere on this forum. Of course, I'm past 12k. Thanks all.

Back