Turning off AWD???

benben01

:
2008 MS3 GT
Just wondering if it's possible to disable AWD and put it in FWD mode like that of a Subaru. In my dad's Outback, there's a fuse holder in the engine compartment that allows you to put the car in FWD mode by putting a fuse in place. This was designed to minimize wear on the differentials in the even of a flat and a spare is in use.

Carry a plug kit and a $10 air pump.
I rarely use spare tire anymore. With my ex-BMW, I removed the spare to
save weight ... crazy days.
I must have plugged tires at least 4 times in the past.
Only once that it leaked slowly and I had to do it again.

I know someone would claim that plugging is temp fix.
I beg to differ. If you do it correctly (apply glue), it lasts. As I said,
I had 75% success rate from my experiences.

No, I know of no way to defeat the AWD yet.

I looked up my workshop manual, and here is what I found.

There is a fuse between battery to the ACM (AWD control module), which drives the rear differential solenoid. The fuse is #30 in the fuse box inside the glove compartment.
The description is ENG +B (10A) (refer to your owner's manual on page 8-48).
Please note that you will likely get Error Code = P1887 once you pull it.

Please proceed at your own risk.

If you have any kind of replacement warranty on your tires, use the spare. Plugging a flat on site may void that warranty. Ask your retailer for details.

Thx for the info Ceric. Will play with it this weekend and see what happens. I have a OBD-II scanner if it throws a CEL.

ok ok ok...maybe you didn't know but the MS6 is "on demand" AWD which means that it is 100% FWD while driving under normal conditions and as soon as the car loses traction in the front wheels the AWD system kicks in and gives (up to) 50% of the power to the rear wheels.

not entirely true. only in 100/0 at 5mph or less, or if the parking brake is on.

ok ok ok...maybe you didn't know but the MS6 is "on demand" AWD which means that it is 100% FWD while driving under normal conditions and as soon as the car loses traction in the front wheels the AWD system kicks in and gives (up to) 50% of the power to the rear wheels.

Your statement over simplified the active torque-split AWD.
(1) it does not kick in after the traction is lost. It senses drop in traction and kick in immediately. The difference is that it reacts faster than most passive AWD like Pilot VTM-4 (not the SH-AWD). Therefore, the term, "active" torque-split. (not passive).
(2) When you accelerate hard from stop, the AWD also kicks in to assist in acceleration, FWD traction lost or not.

Back