stalling issue

kewe02

I have a 2008 cx9 sport, with about 13k on it now. This past winter we had a stalling issue upon start up. When cold the engine would start and run for 2 or 3 seconds and then stall, upon the second try it would run fine.. Now we get a intermittent stall. It usually happens when I am stopped at a red light. I come to a full stop and while standing there the engine just cuts out. The dealer says they can not find any problems, and as its an intermittent issue they have not been able to produce it while at the shop. Any ideas ?

thks
ken

Possibly ask them to program the ECU. The program currently on the unit could have somehow lost a portion of its programming. That could affect anything from fuel injectors to the solenoid controlling idle while A/C is operating.

Really, could be any of a number of things. Hopefully, it will cause some type of imminent failure that can be identified and repaired. Intermittent problems are a diagnostic pain, and an excuse for dealers to not do their job.

I had this issue with my Speed 3. It was a frayed wiring harness up front by the turbo inlet bracket that caused a short in the fuel pump relay. Eventually, I popped the fuse at the most inopportune time.

they did a full engine diagnonsis and no abnormalities were found......back home again..... im going to keep a log of the stalls over the next week. already have an appointment in 10 days and they offered a loaner car and said they would keep the cx for a few days to do more tests/checking

If no CELs are thrown, I would have to say you are looking at 2 possibilities... It's either fuel or ignition related..

I agree with benben01, (based on the understanding that there was no code thrown)
This happened to my old BMW twice when it was new.
However, it never happened again through the 10 years I owned it.
My best guess was bad fuel. Try another gas station next time.
If not so, you may have bad ignition circuitry somewhere. It could range from bad contact to poor grounding (still bad contact). It is hard to say where. A lot of times, it is sporadic, which makes it even harder to track down.
Good luck.

Have another dealer you can take it to? I always try to get another opinion if the first place can't find it.

It could be SO many things with these computer controlled systems, it's hard to say anymore. My 92 Mazda truck was idling rough, and dying when I came to a stop like it wasn't getting fuel, or the timing was WAY off. Turned out to be a dirty contact on the MAF sensor connector. I took it to a local shop and the guy knew right away what it was, cleaned the connector, and I never had the problem again.

On our 9, I had a groaning crunch every time the front suspension would compress, and a clicking sound every time I shifted between forward and reverse. Two dealers, six trips and 450 miles later, I went BACK to our local dealer and a different tech drove it with me. Within a minute he heard both noises and knew exactly what they were and fixed them with a little grease.

So often you just need to find the right guy who doesn't have his head up another part of his body.

I have a 2008 cx9 sport, with about 13k on it now. This past winter we had a stalling issue upon start up. When cold the engine would start and run for 2 or 3 seconds and then stall, upon the second try it would run fine.. Now we get a intermittent stall. It usually happens when I am stopped at a red light. I come to a full stop and while standing there the engine just cuts out. The dealer says they can not find any problems, and as its an intermittent issue they have not been able to produce it while at the shop. Any ideas ?

thks
ken

Have the dealer check to see if the vehicle threw a code, but no dash light. Have them keep the car for a few days and start it. This is what I would do before anything else. However, if I were to guess, maybe a mass airflow sensor problem.

Zoomfive

It just came to me that my co-worker' Lexus RX300 recently experienced a problem maintaining idle. This happened sporadically. (well, eventually it got worse).
Finally, they found the IACV (idle air control valve) to be faulty.

It was a $400 repair on Lexus!

Just another possibility.

Last edited:
thks for the input all, since they looked her over we have not had a stall....dont know if the engine diagnosis did something to the ecu....or if they cleaned something while in there....wish they did find something...so they could fix it...hate the uneasy feeling...
still have an appt for next monday.....if i dont get a stall before then, you think i should still bring it in? or consider it all better?

thks
ken

Back