Oil Filter Issues

Anyone else have trouble getting oil filter off?

I was unable to remove mine. Bought the socket attachment that goes on the end of filter - didn't work. Used an oil filter wrench - didn't work.
Now just trying to get free time to take to the dealer. Don't want to remove it 'old school' (puncture w/ screwdriver and turn).

Also, I have the Fram filter ready to install...Would the dealer install that or do I HAVE to buy the OEM filter from them?

I doubt that dealer will install non-OE filter for you. (liability issue)
Good luck getting oil filter off.
For $29, now I let dealer do the oil change, check, and lube.
I don't see how much money I can save by doing it myself. Therefore, the last time I did oil change myself was more than 15 years ago....

Factory filters are always too tight. For anyone who doesn't know, a filter should only be hand tight, about 1/4 to 1/2 turn past seal contact.

Just do the screwdriver trick. You are tossing the old filter anyway.

I always change my own oil. Not to save money, but because I don't trust the shops.
everyone I know has a story about some screw up or scam when they had their oil changed: wrong oil, wrong amount of oil (one had his returned with NO oil in it. Destroyed the engine), drain plug too loose/too tight, etc. I took a work truck in and they tried to sell me an air filter I didn't need, which is a common scam. They showed me the FILTHY factory filter, but I declined. Later, I changed it myself, and took a FRAM filter out. The bright orange seal on the filter definitely was not the dark green seal the shop showed me. Damn thieves.

I don't like other people working on my cars at all, but sometimes it's necessary. Changing the oil is not, and it's too simple not to, especially on this car. Then I know it was done right, with the right grade and amount of oil.

Totally agree CX9 Owner. I got all the tools in the shop anyway for the other toys i work on.

I was really just looking to see if anyone else had this issue of it being too tight, and if it might be another issue (threads fused, or orig filter was put on wrong, screw'd up the threads, etc...)

Get an adaptor like this, they work wonders.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/MATCO-Universal-...14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

!BRW0-2wCGk~$(KGrHgoOKkUEjlLmTeZqBJ9j2vYP+Q~~_1.JPG

fair enough, you'll still have trouble once and a while.

By the way it's 3/4 turn past o-ring contact. If you only go a 1/4 I will guarantee you'll leak sometime in the future.

I'm sure people are glad they don't work on your car, I gave the OP a suggestion not you and you chime in saying no way. To be honest yeah there is some shoddy work out there, but alot of the time it's just picky customers.

Ie. A drain and fill for specification can call for 4.0L but dependant on how long you let it drain you may need 3.9 or even 4.3 to fill it.

Also one customer may think that they need their oil to show F when the vehicle has just been shut off, others understand that you have to let the oil drain before you can have an accurate reading.

Air filters and other fluids are based on what the tech sees as bad, they aren't always trying to rip you as per saying "Hey this is getting dirty by our standards, wanna get it done? Or if not at least you know now that is on the road to needing attention" You may see an air filter as clean and another may think its dirty.

BY THE WAY I DID SAY I UNDERSTAND SOME SHOPS ARE BAD.

Find a tech you have some faith in, to label them all as crooks is just assinine.

I have a 3 jaw oil filter wrench from Sears similar to what Mazda Maniac posted. It has worked wonders for me. Combined with a breaker bar and appropriate adapter, I bet you can solve your problem with ease. The oil filter wrench costs about $10. Same with the breaker bar.

Hope that helps.

I am VERY picky, but my reasons for not having others change my oil and filters isn't from that. The accounts I referred to were a lot more than just slight variances in oil level or filter contamination. I'm not saying all shops are incompetent, or scams. The problem is finding one you can actually trust.
I had an 88 Mazda truck. I was living in an apartment and didn't have a way to change the oil myself. I took it to a shop, and they put the wrong oil in it, causing one of the lifters to tick from then on. I got my car back from the tire shop Monday and they left lube and grease all over my wheels, and dirty footprints on the interior. That may sound picky, but it demonstrates a lack of respect for me as a customer. A Mazda service department did the same thing; returned my 9 filthy and not put back together properly.

At least 80 percent of the people I personally know have had a bad experience, including the problems I previously listed. Therefore, I SUGGESTED to the other posters that they consider changing their own oil, given how easy it is. I realize not everyone has the confidence, or facilities to do so, but a lot of them probably have a friend who could help them with it.

As far as choosing a shop if you can't do the work, ask around as much as possible.

As long as I have the means to do basic service myself, I'll never put my $30,000 car in the hands of some monkey who doesn't care because he makes his $8 an hour no matter what. There just isn't much respect towards customers any more. If you found a shop you trust and who does quality work, then you are lucky. I haven't been that lucky.

That's all folks.

(group)

Last edited:
I agree with you. The majority of why oil changes are such s*** is because even at the dealership they will have a 10 dollar an hour lube kid that does the oil changes. The reason they do that instead of the Certified techs doing any of the oil changes is because there is a price war with oil change prices, so an oil change only pays .3 hr(where I work anyways) and they expect you to do a full basic check of the vehicle. Realistically this is impossible to make that time, if it was just a drain and fill while you close your eyes to any other problems maybe it's feasable. Therefore all the oil changes and tire rotation services go to the monkey because the techs aren't gonna lose time because of it.

I am a tech and EVERY car even if I'm wearing a fresh uniform at the beginning of the day I place a floor mat and a seat cover in, it's just having pride in what you do. There are plenty of people that have no pride in their work, and you need to find the select few that do take pride in it.

Last edited:
I just changed the oil for the first time on the wifey's CX9 today. Holey Moley! You guys were not exaggerating about how tightly the factory had installed that original filter! I finally had to bust out the c-clamp after rapping my knuckles a few times against the oil pan.

At least it's accessible. Most aren't. Our CR-V filter was on the side of the engine, which meant it was pointing towards the firewall underneath the intake manifold. Ick.

Back