May have a CASE, what do you think??

Doesn't the red key alert just mean that the car thinks the key has left the vehicle or is in a location that it can't detect it?

just so the information is here

New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet

The New York State New Car Lemon Law provides a legal remedy for consumers who are buyers or lessees of new cars and certain "used" cars that turn out to be "lemons." If a car does not conform to the terms of its written warranty and the manufacturer or its authorized agent is unable to repair the car after a reasonable number of attempts, a consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement.

Cars covered by the law include any car that:

* Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
* Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
* Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
* Is used primarily for personal purposes.

Duty to Repair:

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

* Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
* The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

Exceptions when manufacturers may not be required to provide a refund or replacement:

* The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer; OR
* The problem is a result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized alteration of the car.

What consumers should do if they become aware of a problem with the car:

* Immediately report any defect or "condition" either directly to the manufacturer or to its authorized dealer. If the consumer reports the problem to the dealer, the law requires the dealer to forward written notice to the manufacturer within seven days.
* Keep careful records of all complaints and copies of all work orders, repair bills and correspondence.
* Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 518-474-8943 if there are problems obtaining repair orders.

The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer; OR

Do you think they would give you a new car based on this statement? Does the moonroof not working "substantially" affect the value??? Interesting stuff. I've never seen it written out before.

"impair the value" is subjective, which is left for the arbitration to decide.
I would argue that "moonroof that keeps shorting out and not opening" impair the value of my CX9. If not, ask the dealer to buy it back at fair market value with that moonroof unfixed.

What does not impair the value of a vehicle is an issue like rattling, etc. Any electrical issue could start out very small and minor, then gets worse as days go by.....

Last edited:
Anyone know if a bad moonroof switch could cause the Smart Key light to come on?

As integrated as these systems are, it wouldn't surprise me. Look how a bad accessory plug can screw up the air bag light, after all.

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Electrical problems, are a BIT^H, they are never simple. 1st they thought it was my LED lights (I've had them for 1 1/2 years), then the switch (shorted out), then the moonroof motor (shorted out AGAIN). We have a pattern here. As for NUTARI, who stated that "The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer", well I had to purchase a PACKAGE to get the moonroof. It wasn't a single item add on.

Whoa whoa. I did not state anything. I copied and pasted the information here from the link provided just in case the source vanished.

Back