Custom towplate how-to

hectik1

Contributor
Here is a really cheap alternative to those who want a towplate but don't want to spend the money and like fabrication.(cabpatch)

Used the stock towhook found in the trunk. Cut the hook off as close as I could to the welds of the hook. I recommend a sawzaw and a vise if you have access to one. Grinded off to smooth the end. Drilled the end about an inch down. Tapped the end. ( I used a 5/16-18 thread tap) I also recommend buying a bolt (I originally used a regular bolt but in the end opted for an Allen head stainless bolt).

As for the aluminum bar you can use whatever size you want (Mine is 2 inches wide IIRC). It just needs to be strong enough (thickness) so it won't flex in the wind, etc. I cut mine 10 inches long, and put the bend at 1 1/2 inches. I used the vise to make the bend but a strong table will work too. After this you just have to line up your license plate on the aluminum bar, and drill the holes to mount ( you also will have to get bolts/nuts/lock washers; size is your choice here too). You also have to drill the hole to mount the bar to the tow hook.

Once you have this done, you just have to assemble. Screw the tow mount in the bumper. Use the bolt to tighten. Take out the bolt, and grab the alum. bar. Line it up to your liking, and tighten the bolt as much as possible where you can't move the bar up or down. Then just bolt in the license plate.

Mazdaspeed3%20082.jpg
The tow mount screwed into the bumper.

Mazdaspeed3%20083.jpg
The aluminum bar mounted.

Mazdaspeed3%20084.jpg
Above view of the finished product.

Mazdaspeed3%20085.jpg

nice fab...but the bolt looks like its gonna rub the bumper in high wind/bumpy ground get a beauty cap or somthing for it...

^^^agreed +2 nd the plate is coverin half ur fog.. **** that if
ima do ima do it right.. cp-e =]

Well it 1) it doesn't rub or flex in wind or high speed (100+).

2) It blocks NO light coming from the foglight. The top of the housing is dead even with the bottom of the plate and no light output is effected.

Best part is even with buying parts/tools this will cost less than $20 and some time to make.

^im sorry dude but the look of that bare bolt just sticking out there so close to the paint would make me a nervous wreck!!!!

but either way, compliments on the ingenuity. always like ppl who take products and make it themselves, and it ends up being very cheap to do. just like the trash can mudflaps, home depot front lip, and my little ipod touch holder that saved me like $50

^im sorry dude but the look of that bare bolt just sticking out there so close to the paint would make me a nervous wreck!!!!

but either way, compliments on the ingenuity. always like ppl who take products and make it themselves, and it ends up being very cheap to do. just like the trash can mudflaps, home depot front lip, and my little ipod touch holder that saved me like $50
I agree.

Back