Windows going down automatically?

familyride

:
2009 cx-9
Please tell me if your finding the same issue. 2009 cx-9 w/1,500 miles. When I get out of the car and lock it (windows up) all is good. I come back and one or more of the windows will be down (1-6 inches). At first I thought maybe it was related to me opening the back hatch. I thought maybe it was an air pressure issue and the windows would go down a crack. Now I'm finding it sporadic. The window lock will even be engaged and I hop in the car and one of the back windows will be down, so I have to unlock it and then put the window up. (wow)

familyride,
I am going entertain you with my theory.
You know that when you press and hold the unlock button on the fob, the window will go down/open (so is moonroof if you got one). I suspect that you might have put the key somewhere (pocket, e.g.) that triggers the unlock button for a few seconds so that window went down w/o you knowing that.
Or, maybe your fob simply has a bad/sporadic contact on the unlock button.

The window lockout only applies to the switches on the door panel, not to the fob. So, that explains it also.

The other theory would be "ghost in electronics", which is less likely.

Yeah but if you hold down the unlock on the fob it only opens the front windows and moon roof. Not the back windows as familyride has experienced.

Really. I haven't tried it honestly. On my previous BMW, it opened all so I assumed the same for CX9. Now, back to "ghost in electronics".

He's right. It only opens the windows with the Auto feature. That's how it makes them go down, in fact.

I'd like to know the exact schedule of random window activation, and which windows it was each time.

O.k. so call me crazy but what is a fob? I don't have the touring w/all the bells and whistles if that matters any. My key only has 3 buttons, lock-unlock-panic. This has happened like 10-15 times, most of which I run into the store come back and Ill have a window or 2 down. I was unaware of the unlock option rolling down windows so I will test that out. Great news if its an operator error and not a ghost. If I cant replicate on my own I will log it and report back. Thank you!

Fob = Remote

If the rear windows are going down by themselves, you definitely have a problem. Do they operate with the door switch properly? Up and down?

Yes, rear windows included -all sporatic. Some times just a crack, some times 6 inches! Some time just one back one or one ft one, some times multiple. Door switches work properly. I totally thought that I must be hitting the inside switches in my hurry out of the car. Nope. It's makin' me crazy for sure though!

This is an interesting case to me.
After engine and ignition cutoff + 40 seconds, the window power is lost.
Even if one touches the switches of the windows, nothing will happen.
This leads to two possibilities
- sporadic fault at the BCM (body control module) - inside the kick panel next to your left foot (for left-hand drive)
- window motors failure (allowing it to roll back) - however multiple failures are very very unlikely in the same vehicle.

I am betting on the BCM. If I was a technician, that is the 1st thing I will replace.
I will check my Shop manual to see if there is any mentioning of this.

My sunroof on my VW would open by itself.....The dealer replaced the dial that controls it. There was a short somewhere causing it to open randomly.

So since we are kind of on the topic, how come if I roll all four windows down while driving, stop, get out of the car and hold down the lock button on the outside door handle, it only rolls up the front windows?

Because the fob does not control the rear windows....according to the manual.
CX9 only have the auto-up/down front windows, not the rear ones.
My ex-BMW had all four auto-up/down window. Its fob could roll-up/down all four windows from outside.
Maybe that is how the fob can easily achieve this. (thru auto-up/down control).

Just one of those minor details Mazda chose not to include to avoid the price getting out of hand. Not a big deal to me. I'm happy when we visit Phoenix that even 2 windows can be rolled down remotely.

Please tell me if your finding the same issue. 2009 cx-9 w/1,500 miles. When I get out of the car and lock it (windows up) all is good. I come back and one or more of the windows will be down (1-6 inches).

Have you had any other electrical problems? Perhaps sound going out or Bluetooth not bonding anymore? I just posted a seperate thread about other flakiness, where windows going down was just one of the symptoms.

Someone mentioned a "BCM". Would this mess with the RSES and Bluetooth also?

familyride,
I am going entertain you with my theory.
You know that when you press and hold the unlock button on the fob, the window will go down/open (so is moonroof if you got one). I suspect that you might have put the key somewhere (pocket, e.g.) that triggers the unlock button for a few seconds so that window went down w/o you knowing that.
Or, maybe your fob simply has a bad/sporadic contact on the unlock button.

The window lockout only applies to the switches on the door panel, not to the fob. So, that explains it also.

The other theory would be "ghost in electronics", which is less likely.

I had the same issue happen with my vehicle yesterday. I tried your information about holding the unlock button and the windows will go down and the moonroof will open. NOT. That did not happen for me. I've had my car for almost 5 years and it never happened until yesterday. My husband is quite upset since we've never had anything like this happen before. Bad thing is, it was misting outside and the interior was a bit wet when we found the car like that.

Back