CX-9 20" Wheel Corrosion

morpheen

:
Mazda CX-9
Hello,

My last three vehicles have been Mazda (both 3's) and we decided to upgrade to something larger. We picked up our Liquid Platinum 2008 CX-9 last week and so far we are loving it!

However I noticed when I washed it today that the wheels are already corroding and the finish is flaking off from the inside out.

Has anyone else experienced this flaw? I did a quick search but didn't find anything.

20h3fp4.jpg

2n8whtx.jpg

Looking at your brakes, I'd like to know where you drive, and how you washed the wheels. I'm not surprised your wheels have issues. These are painted and cleat coated wheels, and have to be treated the same as any painted surface.

From Arizona monsoons, to driving in snow, ice, and salty roads, along the California coast from LA to Monterey, and dozens of washings, after 2 years I STILL don't have that kind of rusting on my brakes, or anywhere else.

Last edited:
Looking at your brakes, I'd like to know where you drive, and how you washed the wheels. I'm not surprised your wheels have issues. These are painted and cleat coated wheels, and have to be treated the same as any painted surface.

From Arizona monsoons, to driving in snow, ice, and salty roads, along the California coast from LA to Monterey, and dozens of washings, after 2 years I STILL don't have that kind of rusting on my brakes, or anywhere else.

I live in Canada, but this is an '08 that was on the lot "brand new" until we bought it. I have a feeling because it was sitting on the lot that it was ignored with regards to washing etc.

I was just curious if anyone else had issues or not. I put winter wheels & tires on all of my vehicles to avoid issues like this. Probably going to have to take this up with the dealership.

He just bought it a week ago, so I highly doubt that would be the result of a weeks worth of nasty weather (unless he bought it used). He also said he just washed the vehicle, which is probably why the rotors are rusty. All of my vehicles look similar to that after I wash them--the first brake application cleans that surface rust off.

OP--my CX-9 is over a year old, and wheels still look great. I would have the dealer look at that.

thats why I asked. I get the light rust on the rotors, but not that heavy rust all over.

Maybe it sat somewhere really wet, and salty.

Last edited:
Maybe they sold you one of those CX9s that got dumped into the ocean.

(hahaspit)

But nawwwww........ take it to the dealer...

Last edited:
Maybe they sold you one of those CX9s that got dumped into the ocean.

(hahaspit)

But nawwwww........ take it to the dealer...

Haha, I had to pay extra for "Salvage"... (argh)

I am going to the dealership today, I will let you guys know what they say and hopefully do.

So with out skipping a beat they said they are ordering my 4 new wheels! I couldn't be happier :)

They also said they have never seen these wheels do that, no bulletins etc.

Either way, I am happy.

I'd still like to know WHY they did that. If the car sat in deep water, it could have other issues you haven't seen.

The car was brand new on the lot, however the plastic film was left on until the day I bought it. I have a feeling it lived outside waiting to be bought and the plastic wrap prevented drying plus it was never washed. The dealership is on a busy road so salt would definitely be in the air during the winter. Everything is undercoated except for the wheels (obv)

Maybe that had something to do with it, or maybe the guy that installed the wheels dinged the hell out of the back of them or maybe they were a flawed batch of wheels. I definitely don't think it was sitting in deep water because the dealer is in the highest point of London geographically and their lot isn't that big so I would have noticed the previous numerous times I have been there. I didn't see anything else that was "odd" when I crawled under it so I am not too worried and they seem to be willing to honor the warranty without hassle.

Definitely a mystery, and I would love a definitive answer too!

I noticed one of my wifes wheels doing this as well. I washed it a couple days ago and found this in two spots on one wheel. I enjoy our Mazda, but so far had rust on our tailgate (fixed), antifreeze smell since I bought it new in 07 (dealer still says there is nothing wrong with it) and have the issue with the silver trim on the interior getting the finish wore off (again on this one the dealer states the TSB for this applies only to 08 VIN numbers-not 07). I am getting aggrevated.

Back