FX-35 Exhaust

Cichan

Has anyone thought of swapping out the stock mufflers with that of an FX-35?

Now correct me if Im wrong, but here is my thought process

The Z & G-35 have the same sounding exhaust; obviously b/c they are the same car.

The Murano and FX-35 are the same vehicle as well, but the Murano doesn't have the sound of an FX at all. So I figure it's down to the exhaust system.

I love the way these Infinitis sound; theyre not too loud, yet the sound badass. You think that swapping the exhaust would give us a similar sound?

I'd be surprised if the fit was even remotely similar. And, the CX9 is a dual Cat, 3 muffler system. You may be better off replacing the lead shared muffler with a straight pipe.

The reason the FX, G, and Z350 sound they way they do has to do with engine layout. Those vehicles are RWD based with equal length runners and H/X pipes to created the rumble you hear. We can get our 9 to sound the same but, you would have to custom fab equal length headers that will dump into 2 separate pipes and not merge into one like it is currently. Hope that makes sense

You may be better off replacing the lead shared muffler with a straight pipe.

I read of this being done to my 01 V6 Accord with success. this would probably be a good route to go.

either way, you'd be just as well off going aftermarket than swapping with Infiniti parts. it would probably cost about the same.

I did the straight pipe on my 01 v6 accord. It does not come anywhere close to the sound of the a RWD VQ35/37 setup. You will get nice exhaust note at WOT. As I said before, the only way the 9 will sound like the FX is to do the headers and dump it into 2 separate pipes (one for each muffler).

maz6s_hdr_oem_ex_sm.jpg

Duratec 3.0 V6 from the Mazda 6. Our headers are similar with the cats right off the banks. Major bottle neck and noise surpressors.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind having the exhaust note of the Z and G35, it would be better than the sound of nothing coming out of our tailpipes. I wouldn't go crazy and make them sound like V8's or those annoying farting sounds that come out of Honda Civics with aftermarket exhaust though...

I did the straight pipe on my 01 v6 accord. It does not come anywhere close to the sound of the a RWD VQ35/37 setup. .

I wasn't entertaining the idea that one could make the 9 sound like like the Infiniti. but Sporty's comments on the 3 piece muffler got me thinking about how we might get some minor improvements in sound and performance. I probably wasn't clear in my post in what I was getting at.

having said that, I absolutely love the sound of the G35/G37. distinctive, aggressive, sporty, but maintains its class.

Did a custom exhaust a couple of months ago. Sounds like the FX you mentioned. I'll try to take some sound clips and post soon. I removed the resonator and then the y pipe, rear mufflers, and tips were changed. Check out the pics in the pic thread in the lounge. Matched up w my intake, I get much better throttle response, however the fuel mileage stayed pretty flat. Sounds tuned and there's no drone inside.

Latest posts

Back