stainless/chrome rear bumper guard now available

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
The stainless rear bumper guard (common on Porche/MB SUVs) for CX9 is an accessory for 2009 CX9. It is finally available (has a part number now) for sale.
See here. Click on the picture for a larger one. I think it looks better on darker exterior colors CX9, but to each one's own. I will probably do it.

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx9-rear-chrome-step-plate.html

P.S. Mazda website says "stainless", not "chrome".

I think it replaces it. Jump pop the rubber/plastic one off and snap it in.
The new one is also completely cover the bumper, unlike the current plastic one which leaves a small gap.

I originally intended to buy this, but on 2nd thought opted to stick with the original black guard considering my paint color. I think it'll look good on some colors, less so on others. it does appear to provide a little extra coverage, but I think you're paying more for appearance than function.

my worthless opinion aside, good of you to pass on the word ceric... I had been looking around for a while for it with no luck and I'm sure others have too. I only noticed it b/c I just placed an order on mazdaparts.org. they shipped it next day, roof rails, etc. should be in Monday. I had to call in as I ordered a wrong part and they gave me no problems - seem to have great service.

Post a photo when you get it, and how it installs. The factory pad is actually part of the rear bumper casting, and simply not painted. It's not a separate piece.

My guess is the stainless piece attaches with auto tape.

My guess is the stainless piece attaches with auto tape.

I was at the dealer a week ago and they hadn't seen it yet, but that was their guess too.

Last edited:
I just saw it on eBay as well (sold by park mazda, which is also a Mazda dealer).
It mentions the 3M back tape. Therefore, I suppose that it actually sticks onto the current black bumper guard. We will see. I will post a picture, for sure. It will arrive on 04/20.

Just bought a silver 09 CX-9 and it came with the stainless rear bumper guard installed. I do not think it was listed as an extra.

P.S. It truly is "stainless" which means, just like my stove and refrigerator, it shows every fingerprint and probably needs those appliance wipes for a proper cleaning.

Well, I would hate it if it was painted. Imagine the scratches it will get while performing its function...

Stainless Rear Bumper Guard installed on 2008 GT AWD

It arrived today from mazdaparts.org.
It took 5-10 minutes to install.
It looks nice with deep colors.

Attachments

• cx9_rear_s.jpg
    cx9_rear_s.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 523
Probably a better fit for a GT than Sport or Touring. Looks like it fits snug for an add-on

Who barfed on your plate, Ceric?

Last edited:
It arrived today from mazdaparts.org.
It took 5-10 minutes to install.
It looks nice with deep colors.

Looks good! Did you have to remove the old black plastic guard? Also, does it attach with a double-sided tape? Please let us know.

As SportsOwner said, the original black guard is actually part of the bumper (not attached to it). The black area is just unpainted. You can't take it off, period!
Therefore, the stainless bumper guard is fixed on top of the black area. Groove to groove lined up perfectly. 3M double-sided tapes on all four sides of the perimeter.

Hope this answer you questions.

P.S. All Mazda OE accessory comes with clear instructions.

Back