What is the best way to run a wire from behind the bumper to the tail lights?

Bigmouth

:
Mazda5 GT Auto 09
Just got the new 2009 M5 GT and now planning to install this back up sensor, which doesn't need to drill holes on bumper. Have learned a lot from this forum, like how to remove bumper, tail light housing, etc. Now I have one last problem: I need to tap into the back-up light so that it can control the ECM of the senor on and off. I think the best location for the tap-in is right behind the tail light housing, but then how should I run the wires down to behind the bumper? I can drill a hole on the body panel behind the housing, but I am afraid after drilling damages the paint the water dripping down from roof will cause corrosion, or even worse that the water may get into behind the panel.

This is my first mod project so any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

I installed the same sensor In my 08 5, there are pre-made holes with plastic caps behind the right taillight and under the right side corner of the under body, next to the bumper, just drill a hole on the plastic caps big enough for the cables to pass and when you are done put some clear silicon on it.

Thank you so much for the information, Junr.

There are 3 black rubber caps behind the taillight housing, as shown in the attached pic. Which one did you use to drill the hole to let the wires pass through? or the white one used by the factory wires?

Also how's the performance of the sensor, especially in rain or snow?

Tons of thanks again for your kindly help.

Attachments

• playdate 006.JPG
    playdate 006.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 275
Thank you so much for the information, Junr.

There are 3 black rubber caps behind the taillight housing, as shown in the attached pic. Which one did you use to drill the hole to let the wires pass through? or the white one used by the factory wires?

Also how's the performance of the sensor, especially in rain or snow?

Tons of thanks again for your kindly help.

I used the black one next to where the factory cables come out. they work great here( i dont get snow where i live) the only thing I have noticed is that if there is something metal on the ground, like a manhole it will give you a "false" alarm since there might not be anything behind the car at all

I used the black one next to where the factory cables come out. they work great here( i dont get snow where i live) the only thing I have noticed is that if there is something metal on the ground, like a manhole it will give you a "false" alarm since there might not be anything behind the car at all

Thanks again Junr.

Now I have got every piece of details I might need and finally pulled the trigger. Ordered the sensor this morning and I am looking forward to the installation.

So let me get this straight.

If I drill a hole in one of those caps behind the taillight (once removed). I will have access inside the body sheetmetal?... and I can snake wires down to the bumper?

If I send wires down behind the taillight, where will I find them underneath? (attn)

I just got new LED reflector/lights that replace the reflectors in the bumper & I need to route wires from the taillights to the bumper. The only way I've found so far is up from behind the bumper and 'tucked' or hidden in the rear hatch seal up to the taillights. If I can go inside, i will!

I just did mine, I used the rubber plugs that are already there under the car to put the wires through. Didn't even need to take off my bumper, just went under, popped off the stock reflectors and ran the wires up through the plug and up behind the sheetmetal to another plug right next to the light wires and tapped in right behind the tail light. Easy as sunday morning...haha(headbang) Sorry if I had a camera, I would have taken pics....

popped off the stock reflectors

tillyspeed81, were you talking about the reflectors on the rear bumper? I'm thinking of putting an extra set of brake lights where those reflector's are located...... or maybe an extra set of running lights......

oh skinner, I installed the LED reflectors and wired them with the tail lights...
sorry Red Headz I meant the caps (I called it plug) it was probably pretty easy for me because I had already stripped the car for Dynomat(squinty)sorry minute detail huh (chair)....
if you lay under the car you can see the caps, drilled a little hole there too...but filled it with silicone to seal it again. so I probably did it the same way as you, besides stripping the interior...

Tilly - geez - and I was all bent outta shape. (piss)

Install was easy and I really like the extra lighting of the LED bumper lights/reflectors.

I chose to just run the LED bumper lights as running lights - but I could also wire them for brakes too... but it just seemed too much. 5 brake lights? (boom05) nah.

skinner - get the LED bumper lights off Ebay. I got mine for $50 shipped from Cali.

michael.

Latest posts

Back